The 4th Age
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The First Night

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The First Night - Page 2 Empty Re: The First Night

Post by Conleth Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:39 pm

ooc: you know I thought about starting this out alot differently. making Gulbrandt out to be much less congenial but didnt think that would work for Laenaya.

Conleth
Admin

https://adsr.4umer.com

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:44 pm

Nauriel listened closely to Gulbrandt as he spoke. She noticed that he kept his eyes slightly downcast, which was a show of his deference to her authority. That was something she greatly respected. She let him speak without interruption and was impressed by what he said. He was well spoken and different from his father. That alone gave her some comfort.

“No, I will not take her away,” Nauriel replied with a little shake of her head. “This is just going to take some adjusting for us all.” She paused a moment and looked at him again. “Please make sure she eats and stays warm.”

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:04 pm

He gaped at her in surprise and also he was partly insulted. “Near mother, for each bite I take she will take 2 and for each two furs I wear she will wear three. To this I swear,” he said then touched 2 fingers to his lips and then reached and touched them to hers. What that meant was that her needs would be well provided for. “We may not have all the comforts of your white city but if the sun does not rise with her smile then I will bring her back myself,” he added. He did not say that he loved her. That word was unknown to him. Women were used to acquire rank and as a show of prosperity. Gulbrandt wanted very much to change this, to learn this love she spoke of and to bring his people forward into this new world and the new ways of it. Laenaya would enjoy independence above all others save for his mother. But even she could not call Laenaya down without cause. She would also be protected from the fios conai, the act of any man of sufficient rank bedding any man’s wife below him. Only his father had that right but he knew well she would not tolerate such a practice and so Hakon had agreed with Gulbrandt to forgo that right.

They re-entered the room and he was surprised to see Laenaya nearly worried sick. He sat down at her side as before then ate heartily as the family talked about life and the future. He noticed she had not eaten a bite. “Laenaya, your mother has asked me to ensure that you eat, if you do not it will dishonor me in her eyes,” he said plainly then, using her fork and knife he sliced off a small piece of beef. He put it on her fork then held it to her mouth for her to take. Clearly he would feed her himself if she did not. He did not quite understand what her mother had meant but it didn’t seem to displease her that he took her quite literally. Elessar stifled a chuckle and Nauriel choked on a piece of vegetable at that. Her sisters only covered their mouths, especially Narisa.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:48 pm

Nauriel felt much better after talking privately with Gulbrandt. She didn't yet view him as a son, but he was married to her daughter and so she would treat him with the same respect she had for her daughter. She knew that it would take time to work through the differences of their cultures, but it pleased her to know that Gulbrandt wanted to change many of the ways that she disagreed with. He was still young, but she could actually see him as growing into a great leader if he stuck to what he truly believed in.

They re-entered the dining room and she could see Laenaya's look of worry. However, it eased as she realized everything was alright. She still didn't eat much, but that was just her way. She was surprised when Gulbrandt suddenly slice a piece of meat and held it out on a fork for her to eat, saying that her own mother had made him promise to ensure that she ate properly. She gave her mother a little look, but accepted the piece of meat. Nauriel was surprised by Gulbrandt's literal take on what she had said and it appeared that Elessar was tickled by it. Leanaya looked sharply over at her brother, sisters, and cousin as they all began to giggle. They stopped immediately. The rest of the dinner went smoothly and the conversation was pleasant.

OOC-Did we want to stop here?

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:29 pm

ooc: ok, shall we begin the next on the journey North? I'll let you comment on the tearful goodbyes

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:37 pm

OOC-Sure that sounds good. Then we need to figure out who's next in terms of a relationship: Eldarion or Narisa.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:38 pm

ooc: yep, but, I am far form done with this!

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:38 pm

OOC-Oh, I wasn't saying we were lol

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:39 pm

ooc: whew, ok, im trying to make the northmen sound much different than what we are used to.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:12 pm

ooc-new thread

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down