The 4th Age
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Bad Poker Face Stardate 2259.286

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A Bad Poker Face Stardate 2259.286 Empty A Bad Poker Face Stardate 2259.286

Post by Conleth Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:15 am

The weekly poker game was in full swing and tonight even the Captain decided to break down and join in the fun though he normally didn’t. To his left was Amara then Kal, Nathan, Diana, Silas and Scotty. The Captain dealt this hand.

Kal had made a 1920s Louisiana, French speakeasy holodeck program. It was more or less just a bar with a room in the back where there was this poker table. People smoked in the speakeasy and there was music but it wasn’t very loud from where they were and the smoke was just for visual effect, it wasn’t harmful and once in a while a waitress would come back to see if they needed anything. In here, you could wear a costume and become like one of the denizens of this time or, in this case, wear whatever you wanted. Everyone was in a quasi state of readiness so they were all still in their uniforms. Kirk had a cup of coffee and others had various drinks though he didn’t know what they were. The poker table was covered in the green felt with lines and highlighted boxed in areas where people put their chips.

“The ante is 10 (a green chip) and 5s are wild,” Kirk said as he dealt the cards around the table. The cards had an old, Fleurdelis black pattern on the back. Kirk looked at his card as he tossed a green chip into the center as did everyone else. He had 2 6s, a 10 of hearts, a jack of clubs and a queen of hearts. “I’ll add in 50,” he said and tossed in a blue chip from his pile.

“So, Captain,” Silas asked. “How long have you and Amara been married?” he asked. Kirk had to think a moment. “Well, actually 200 days today,” he said as others put in chips then Kirk began to deal out as many cards as they all needed. He took in 3 and got another 6. Not a terrible strong hand but not a bad one either. “200 days of marital bliss,” He said with a grin and Amara nearly blew up from not bursting out laughing. Diana was dressed in her blues though she wore a skirt today instead of the slacks McCoy preferred everyone wear.

Conleth
Admin

https://adsr.4umer.com

Back to top Go down

A Bad Poker Face Stardate 2259.286 Empty Re: A Bad Poker Face Stardate 2259.286

Post by XslvrstarX Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:02 am

Amara had been pleasantly surprised when James had decided to join her in the poker game. She usually played once a week during the time when he was catching up on reports. However, today he had decided to come along. Amara and James used to join poker games back at the Academy for fun. Of course Kal had created a 1920's style speakeasy holodeck program for the games, but it only added to the ambiance and fun. It was technically past their shift, but Alpha shift usually remained in their uniforms for a little while past their shift just in case they were needed. 

Amara took her cards and tossed in a 10. She then looked at her hand. She had two Aces: one of spades and one of diamonds, a five of diamonds, a jack of clubs, and a queen of spades. At the moment, with her wild card, she had a three of a kind and she could possibly make a full house. "I'll call," Amara said as she added in a blue 50 chip to the pile. 

Amara asked for a single card and tossed away her jack and smiled when she got a queen of diamonds. Amara grinned and looked over at James when he spoke about how long they had been married. "200 days of bliss...and also days of not so much bliss, but that's marriage. Not everyday is perfect and I wouldn't want it to be. I think though we've grown a lot as a couple. Now, if only I could get him to put his dirty clothes in the hamper."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:40 am

“The rest of us have to find it or our clothes don’t get laundered,” Nathan said with a grin. It was a real treat to have the Captain playing tonight. “Captain, if you’d like something stronger or a snack, the waitress can take your order,” Nathan said. Kirk booked and set down his cards face down. Everyone but Silas tossed in their chips to continue. “I'm out,” Silas said. He had a crappy hand. Silas liked Diana and was romantically interested in her. Though, he was romantically interested in several women on the ship...for a while. To Scarlett’s dismay, He was beginning to have a rep about that. Some women liked that while others didn’t so much. He got around and though he was up front with the women he slept with, they still didn’t much care for him moving on after he had sex with them.

“What about you Diana? I bet your room is spotless,” Silas said as he looked into her brown eyes. Diana was focusing on her cards, or making it look like she was. Kirk thought she had a great hand and wanted everyone else to think it was just ok. Nathan’s eyes shifted to Silas a moment. He wasn’t certain about the man but he and Diana had been...getting closer lately. Nothing official, just lunches mostly but she never turned him down unless she couldn’t get away. He decided to ignore it but ‘he’ hadn’t made any overtures toward her either. And he was pretty tired of Lucia. She really liked him in her bed but they were like oil and water most of the time, otherwise.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:04 am

Diana had a flush and she was pretty confident that her hand could beat everyone else's, except for Amara. Amara was always difficult to read. Amara had been a spy though so that made sense. Diana had been avoiding relationships while on the mission. She had been sought after by several guys on the ship, but if she was going to get involved with someone she wanted it to be a potential long term relationship. She wasn't one to sleep around. She knew that Nathan had been involved with Lucia for a while, but that seemed to have fizzled out. Nathan was a good guy and she had agreed to several casual lunches with him to get to know him better. There was nothing official between them yet, but she could feel a connection building between them. Silas had started to show an interest in her as well, but she knew about his reputation and that wasn't something she wanted to get mixed up in. 

"I do like to keep my spaces organized and neat. I can't think in messy spaces," she replied.

Amara didn't know Diana that well. She knew she was a nurse and that Dr. McCoy thought highly of her, but she knew very little other than that...except for one thing.

"Is it true you used to dance ballet?" she asked her as she took a sip of her drink.

Diana nodded. "14 years I danced ballet. I started when I was 3. My dream was to dance professionally and the New York City ballet even sent a representative to watch me dance. They offered me a spot in the company, but two weeks later I seriously injured my right ankle and that was the end of that."

Everyone put their cards down. Amara had a full house and Diana had a flush.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:41 am

Diana grinned when she scooped up chips and pulled them to her. She began to stack them when Amara shuffled the cards. “So I hear that Elyse is taking the Commanders Training Final. I’m anxious ta hear what its like usin the holodeck for that,” Scotty said. “I bet, knowing Spock, its not going to be easy,” Kirk said. “I doubt I’d want to even be subjected to that,” Kirk said. “Kal chuckled. “Elyse is a thinker. I’ve never won a 3d chess game against her. But I beat her ass in Springball,” Kal said. Silas looked up. “Well...ofcourse, she’s a woman,” Silas said and Kirk winced right when Kal did. “I’d not say that to her like that Silas. If you know what’s good for you,” Kal said as he looked at the cards Amara dealt.

“Ok, well, maybe in Springball,” Silas amended.

-----------------------

Elyse found herself on the bridge and they had just been in a serious firefight. She and her crew had attributed themselves well but they had taken alot of damage and some of her crew had died and lots were wounded. They were bringing a dangerous virus to a Medical station on Denoblia and its containment system was damaged, Scotty and McCoy had experience with that particular containment design but anyone who went in there would die. That and the ship’s weapons and warp drive were down and long range sensors detected another Nausican ship. Another raider who wanted to sell the virus to an arms dealer. Two other Nausican ships had tried to raid them and were floating nearby after the fire fight. She was in a Destroyer again and her Chief of Engineering, Scotty, had given her options on what they could do to fix the ship in time. There were 3 ways of dealing with the problem. One would expose 2 people to a lethal amount of radiation but would definitely fix the problem. Another would likely fix the problem but took more time. The third would likely fix it but took an even greater amount of time. The last 2 were dicey on if they could be completed before the Nausicans arrived. Both the containment problem and the warp/waspons problem would take about the same amount of time but she could also just beam the virus off of the ship.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:57 pm

Amara raised an eyebrow at Silas' response about Elyse and Springball. She wanted to say something, but she decided not to...for the moment. This was Scarlett's twin brother after all and a delicate situation. She shuffled the cards and then began to deal. "Five card stud and Jacks are wild. Ante is 10," she said as she tossed a 10 chip in the middle of the table.

She looked at her cards and then looked over at Scotty. "So, how are things with you and Sofia?" she asked with a grin.

-----------------------------------------------

Elyse had been nervous about her final exam. She knew Spock well enough to know that he wasn't going to make this easy on her. She knew that out in space there were all kinds of things that could go wrong or happen and as a commander you had to be able to make tough decisions that could effect the lives of her crew and herself. The situation that Spock put her in was definitely the most difficult one she had been in so far. The ship was seriously damaged, they had a deadly virus on board that Nausican raiders were after and the containment unit was damaged, and some of her crew was dead and many others were injured after a fire fight with two other Nausican ships. There was another raider ship that long range sensors had detected that was heading their way. 

Elyse breathed out as she listened to the option's Scotty gave her. None of them were great. She looked at Scotty and McCoy. "So, there's absolutely no way of repairing the containment unit without whoever goes in there to do it being exposed to the virus and dying, correct?"

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:19 pm

Scotty looked at his cards. “They are going well though she tries to treat me like a first year cadet sometimes...in my own engine room,” Scotty said. “I’ll take 2, “ he said. He had a pair and an ace.

“You too?” Silas said looking up. “I’ll take 3 Amara,” he said.

“Sounds like McCoy in sickbay when he’s in a bad mood Diana,” said.

“I don’t know though, we’ve not been gettin on lately like we should. It’s like she wants me to do something but I don’t kin what it could be,” Scotty said.

“Maybe she found out you’re a soft touch,” Nathan said and asked for 2 cards himself, he had 3 10s.

“What Scotty, reading a woman’s mind is a learned skill. You’ll get there,” Kirk said and asked for just one card. If its the right card, he’ll have a straight flush or just a flush.

--------------------------------

“We could use a suit but it requires a deft hand and getting in one takes time we don’t have Captain,” Scotty said. “If we beam it off the ship, we’d have to destroy it,” McCoy said and she noticed he was wearing his wedding ring. She had hers as well. An oversight on Spock’s part. But he was looking at her the way he does sometimes when he is thinking about her in a romantic way. “Do we have weapons for that?” McCoy asked. “I’m not going to kill those Nausicans unless they are threatening our lives,” McCoy said. “I’m not comfortable not telling them the virus containment is ruptured,” he said. “But they’ve jammed our communications so we can nay call for help Doctor,” Scotty said. “I can’t stop you from doing that Elyse, but I won’t condone that action,” he said.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:34 pm

Amara looked at her cards. It wasn't a good hand. She could bluff it, but she didn't feel like it this hand. She handed out the appropriate number of cards to everyone and and then took four for herself. She only hand a pair and she sighed after she saw the bets everyone else was placing. "I fold," she said and put her cards down. 

Diana had a full house this time, but she bet fairly high...hoping to bluff out everyone else. "Well, maybe she's looking for a proposal," she said with a teasing grin. 

-------------------------------------------

Elyse did notice the wedding ring. She wasn't certain if it was an oversight or if Spock did that on purpose. She thought for a moment about the situation again. "Ok, we need to get weapons up and as quickly as possible. Once we get them up we'll transport the containment unit out into space and destroy it."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:46 pm

Scotty was taking a sip of his whiskey when Diane said what she said. Scotty coughed and sputtered as he tried not to spit it all our onto the table. He cleared his throat and his face had gone red. “Uh...why would you think that lass? We’ve only known one another for a year!” Scotty said in rebuttal to that. Silas and Nathan grinned.

“Why is that thought such a bad thing? Everyone knows how much she cares for you...think about it,” Nathan said.

“If it hasn’t occurred to him by now Nathan, that’s a pretty good sign too,” Silas said. Scotty just wasn’t ready for marriage. If that was what Sofia was thinking, well, there’s something he could do about that! His love was the Enterprise...well, his first love anyway.

-------------------------

Scotty smiled and nodded. “We’ll get right on it Captain,” he said as he stepped away. After a few more moments of McCoy and her looking at one another, the simulation ended. Spock came up to her. He held an expressionless face.

“Thank you Commander for helping me refine my program. I have the results of your training,” Spock said as he looked at her. “But, I think you already know what I’m going to say,” Spock said as his eyes looked unhappy for a just a moment.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:01 pm

Amara and James shared a slightly worried glance between them. Scotty and Sofia kept the ship running. They made a good team...even if they did fight like an old married couple. The Enterprise was better for them being together and happy and they had hoped they would remain together. Now, though, Amara could see panic in Scotty's eyes at the thought of needing to marry Sofia and she feared he was going to get drunk and then do something rash.

"Scotty, that may not even be what's on her mind. Don't jump to conclusions and do something you might regret."

-----------------------------------

Elyse was surprised when the simulation ended so quickly. She looked over and saw Spock and when she saw the unhappy look in his eyes she sighed and looked at him. "I'm sorry that I failed Spock. I will wait a year and go through the training again, if you'll allow me to."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:01 pm

Amara and James shared a slightly worried glance between them. Scotty and Sofia kept the ship running. They made a good team...even if they did fight like an old married couple. The Enterprise was better for them being together and happy and they had hoped they would remain together. Now, though, Amara could see panic in Scotty's eyes at the thought of needing to marry Sofia and she feared he was going to get drunk and then do something rash.

"Scotty, that may not even be what's on her mind. Don't jump to conclusions and do something you might regret."

-----------------------------------

Elyse was surprised when the simulation ended so quickly. She looked over and saw Spock and when she saw the unhappy look in his eyes she sighed and looked at him. "I'm sorry that I failed Spock. I will wait a year and go through the training again, if you'll allow me to."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:19 pm

Scotty looked at her and looked troubled now. Jim bet up the hand and Silas and Nathan folded as well. Then Scotty did. It was just Diane and Kirk now. Amara saw Kirk purse his lips as if trying to decide something. Diane bought that hook, line and sinker. “I’m in, I’ve got to see those cards,” she said and set down a full house. Kirk laid down a straight flush and Diane chuckled. Kirk scooped up alot of chips.

“Deal me out,” Scotty said and stood up. He was gone before Amara could even say anything. The deal went to Silas and he began to shuffle them.

“Well that can’t be good,” Nathan said.

“The whole topic of marriage, really seemed to bother him,” Kirk said.

“It’s not everyone’s cup of tea,” Nathan said.

--------------------------

“You did very well Elyse, you were very close,” Spock said and then paused as he was about to leave. “I do not have to send the results for a few days,” Spock said and raised an eyebrow. “I will...collect the program then to make a copy to send to Starfleet,” Spock said effectively inviting her to do this last part again. “Good evening Commander,” He said and stepped away.

This act from Spock was a testament to how Strongly he felt about her. She knew he wouldn’t do this for just anyone.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:27 pm

Sofia was in her quarters doing some reading in an Engineering Journal. She liked to keep apprised of the latest advancements in technology. She wasn't much of a poker player and she knew Scotty liked to play. The nights that he played gave her time to spend alone and catch up on things. She took a sip of her tea and hoped that Scotty wasn't losing too much money.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:57 pm

Scotty came into Sofia’s quarters uncertain of what he was going to say. He wasn’t ready for marriage and yet...he had strong feelings for Sofia. He loved her. But their lives were busy ones. There was no place for marriages and who knows if she would want children. In his mind’s eye he saw Sofia heading to work in her Starfleet uniform and he was in his underwear holding a baby. And then 2 more kids, a boy and a girl came around the corner and attached themselves to his leg. He blinked at the horror of that!

“Sofia...I think we need to talk,” He said with a frown then came and sat down. He saw her put her book away and he couldn’t handle it and so he stood up again. He rubbed his hands as he psyched himself up to have this conversation. “Doubt and worry that he shouldn’t be doing this hit him just as hard as the concern she would have him wed and off the ship soon did.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:19 pm

Sofia blinked and looked at the time when she saw Scotty come into her quarters. "Have you already lost all of your money?" she asked. She started to become concerned when he told her that they needed to talk. She didn't like the sound of his voice. She put away the PADD and looked over at him. He had been sitting beside her, but then he stood up and began to pace and rub his hands together.

"Scotty, what's wrong?" she asked as she stood up.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:30 pm

Scotty sighed, he just needed to just come out and say it. "Sofia...I think we need a break," Scotty said plainly and gestured with his hands. "We've gotten so close and we've been so busy...I think we need to take a step back...re-evaluate our relationship," Scotty said.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:34 pm

Sofia just stared at Scotty for several long, agonizing moments. At first, she thought she had mis-heard him. She then realized that she hadn't and shock and anger began to set in. She didn't understand why he was doing this, but she wasn't sure she wanted to know why. He was an adult and capable of making his own decisions. 

"Fine...then please leave," she said.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:42 pm

Scotty was about to say something more but Sofia's look and the way that she sounded. He decided to just leave. He could tell she was very upset and he doubted she'd want him to see her cry. He stepped out of her room and headed toward the bar.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:55 pm

Elyse had stepped out of the holodeck and spent a while gathering her thoughts. She thought back over the test details and she knew what she needed to do. She didn't want to, but she now understood that that was the point of the program. A Captain sometimes had to make nearly impossible decisions in order to save lives. 

She took a few deep breaths to steady herself and then walked back into the holodeck. She approached the control panel and she pulled the program back up. She then set the time index back to 1625 and hit the button to activate the program.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:42 pm

Once again he was in the cargo bay with McCoy and Scotty. People ran around with tool and repair modules and conduits. The ship had taken a beating, it wasn't a combat vessel but it acquitted itself well. Scotty looked concern as did McCoy.

"So Captain, The Warp drive can be fixed quickly but the walkway between the damaged modules has radiation coming from the plasma fire we just put out. I can fix it but I think its a one way trip," he said. "However if both Sofia and I used the jeffries tube 61 alpha, we could get above it and cut our way down. It will take longer but with an equal chance of success," he said.

"The only two people that fix the containment unit is myself," He began then McCoy stepped up. "And me," he said as he moved up to Elyse. He looked exactly like Leonard, even his expressions and the sad way he held his eyes when he knew something bad was about to happen. Or at least, she imagined them looking at her like that.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:53 pm

Elyse knew that this was just a test and simulation, but everything felt so real that she couldn't help but feel emotional about everything that was happening in those moments. However, she needed to remain calm and cool headed. She looked at Leonard as he stepped up to her. She knew what she had to do, but that didn't make this any less difficult. It almost seemed to her that he too knew what he needed to do. She was quiet for a moment before speaking to them both.

"Using the jeffries tube will take too much time. We need the Warp Drive repaired as quickly as possible," she said gently, but firmly to Scotty. She then looked at Leonard. "And we need the containment unit fixed," she said as she struggled to keep control of her emotions. She silently prayed that she would never be faced with a situation such as this one. She felt as if her insides were being twisted and torn to shreds.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:56 pm

"Scotty looked at McCoy, half in disbelief. "Captain, Are you ordering me to repair the modules?" Scotty asked.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:59 pm

Elyse hated the way Scotty looked at her. She struggled for a moment to say the single word that she needed to say that was ultimately going to send Scotty to his death. 

"Yes."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:03 pm

Scotty frowned and he and the doctor shared a brief look as he resigned himself. "Yes Captain," he said and hurried away. McCoy came up to her. "You don't need to order me Elyse," Leonard said. "I know what I have to do," he said as he stepped up to her. Before she could say anything he kissed her lips. Not quite like Leonard usually kissed her but darn close. He broke the kiss then looked into her eyes. "I best be about it then," He said then gave her a small nod as he turned and headed toward the containment unit.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:06 pm

The program stopped and everything went back to the way it had been before the program started. Elyse stood there and the tears she had been holding back before began to flow freely down her cheeks. She had no idea that Spock had come into the room and had watched her re-take the rest.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next