The 4th Age
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just Another Mission

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Just Another Mission Empty Just Another Mission

Post by Conleth Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:50 am

Gowen gave Wick a level look as he shifted to point back up onto the map. “We’re planning a major offensive but the enemy holds this area right here,” he said as he pointed to a large hillside. Its difficult to get up there and their Oliphants are all in a clearing just beyond the hill. Archers are up there keeping watch and this ravine is the only way to get there from this side. There are passes beyond the clearing for the Oliphants to come and go but those are filled with Haradrim soldiers. I...volunteered us to climb the hill on the Eastern slope, take out those archers, then come down and poison the food those beasts eat,” he said and let that settle a moment. Everyone was looking at him, the plan was beyond bold but he felt that they could do it. He hoped they could, anyway.

“Kressara and Wick would climb then after taking out the archers, provide cover for us. Forgus and Myself would be a front guard and distraction of necessary, and yearly would deploy the poison here,” he pointed. “Here and here,” he said. Without anyone hearing him Havan had suddenly appeared behind Yearly. He had been listening and had crept up to them. Yearly looked offended and also surprised he didn’t hear him. Havan was every bit as quiet as Yearly was and a much better archer with his shortbow. He was dressed in his leathers and had his bow on his back and short sword on his hip. “I’d...like to join you, if you’d have me,” Havan said nervously.

Conleth
Admin

https://adsr.4umer.com

Back to top Go down

Just Another Mission Empty Re: Just Another Mission

Post by XslvrstarX Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:37 am

As Kressara listened to Gowen she looked at the map and the realization of how dangerous a mission this was began to sink in. There was only one way in and out and absolutely no room for error. She had confidence that they could pull it off, but it wasn't going to be easy. Their plan would have to be solid with everyone doing their parts. However, if they could do this it would be a major blow to the Haradrim and she knew that if any team could do this it was theirs. Each of them was willing to do what was necessary and had proved that in past missions. Their team was well known by now among the Gondorian soldiers and she knew that word of all they had done had even reached the ears of her parents. They could do this...they had to do this.

While looking at the map more closely Kressara had not heard Havan slip inside the tent. She was closer to Gowen now again and was about to ask him a question when she suddenly heard Havan's voice behind them. She turned and was visibly surprised to see him standing there dressed to fight. When he asked to join them on their mission she felt a mixture of emotions run through her. Havan was a very good fighter...when he was in his right mind. He had tried fighting since being rescued, but he had not gotten beyond the front lines. This was not just going beyond those lines but well into the Haradrim territory. Would he be able to handle such a mission? They would not be able to turn back if he suddenly had a panic attack and could not continue on. She could not worry about him and do what she needed to do as well. She would have to be focused entirely on their mission. She was not the leader of this group and glanced at Gowen since he would have the final decision.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:28 pm

Gowen’s surprise and concern were obvious and he refrained from looking at Kressara though he could feel the tenseness in the tent rise sharply just then. He straightened from the map and then shifted to face outward. “Havan...walk with me,” he said plainly and Havan took one last look before he rushed out to Gowen’s side. Kressara saw that he was sweating and had barely a handle on his fear as he rushed out to Gowen.

“I can’t use you Havan...I’m sorry,” Gowen said softly as he looked ahead toward the horse lines that were ahead of them. The horses were being fed and curried by several handlers in Gondor Livery. “I have to go Gowen...I...I need to go...I need to do this,” He said though it was difficult to keep his hands from shaking. Gowen paused and noticed everyone in the tent were looking at them now. “Look at yourself Havan,” Gowen said and touched his forehead. It was slick with sweat and he presented it to Havan. Havan angrily shoved Gowen’s hand aside and gestured with his fingers toward Gowen’s chest. “I have and I don’t like what I see. I need to get over this Gowen and I can’t do it back here. You can use another bow and I can help Yearly finish his part in half the time,” he said more urgently than before. Gowen sighed and shook his head.

“You’re a liability Havan. This mission is vital to the offensive...I...I can’t allow,” he began but then Havan grabbed hold of his leather jerkin at the lapel. “I NEED THIS GOWEN!” Havan growled and jerked Gowen harshly. Gowen let himself be manhandled then looked down at where Havan held him. “Please Gowen, just one more chance, that’s all I ask,” He said almost desperately, his lips quivered as he spoke and he let go of Gowen’s jacket. Gowen looked into Havan’s eyes and saw the desperation there. The desire to try. It swayed him and then he relented. “Alright Havan, you go with Yearly,” Gowen said but he couldn’t help to think that he was making a terrible mistake. This wasn’t just another mission. This could potentially change their offensive into an all out route if they failed. “Be ready to go in one half hour,” he said and stepped away from him briskly. Havan wiped his brow with his forearm then headed back to his and Kressara’s tent. The others with Kressara all gave her a consoling look as they departed to eat and drink as much as they could before they headed out.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:21 pm

Kressara stood quietly in the tent as Gowen requested to speak to Havan. She knew herself that brining Havan along was a risk, but she also knew that if he was of his right mind he could be a major asset. She did not envy Gowen and this difficult call he would have to make. She looked away when she heard Gowen tell Havan that he couldn't use him. She sighed, hearing Havan argue with him. His voice sounded desperate and it broke her heart. She suddenly wished she could not hear this conversation, but there was no where she could go. She was forced to stand there and listen to them, though she did not watch them like the others. Instead, she stayed right where she was with her arms crossed over her chest and her head bowed. Finally, she heard Gowen give in and mixed emotions rushed through her. Was this the right call? She didn't know, but it was done. She could only hope that Havan would be able to get through this. If not, the consequences would be devastating.

She suddenly wasn't hungry and she was thankful that Havan did not return to the officer's tent. She stayed behind while the others went to get something to eat, trying to get her head back into the place she needed it to be. Too much had happened this morning for her not to think about it, but she needed to try.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:45 pm

Gowen returned to the tent but decidedly didn’t look at Kressara. Instead he added another chalk mark next to the entrance to the clearing where now Havan was going to help Yearly poison the Oliphant food. If they are detected and what they were doing discovered, all would be for not. They ‘had’ to get rid of those beasts for the mass of Gondorian soldiers to succeed in their attack.

“I’ve set him to help yearly, you and Wick will have to take out those archers on the hilltop. The rocks and shale are going to be a problem so make certain of your footing. And I am in love with you Kressara,” Gowen said as if he were going to continue with spelling their plans out to her. He still looked at the map though. She was still there to his left and he felt her shift.

“I’ve never made love to a woman before...So if I die know that it is you who I would have liked to share in that experience,” he continued as he chalked another line on the map. And then he turned to look up at her and allowed his eyes to drift across her face then down to her breasts and then back up to her face. He was putting everything out there for her so if he did die at least she’d know exactly what he felt for her and wanted from her. Which also meant no less if they survived. He was letting her know that he would vie for her affections if they both lived after today regardless of any oaths or promises she had made to Havan.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:32 pm

Kressara heard someone enter the tent and looked over to see Gowen. She saw him purposely not look at her. Neither of them had spoken since that kiss they had shared in this very tent only a short time ago. She watched him add another chalk mark, representing Havan. This mission wasn't going to be easy to begin with, but now with Havan in the mix it was going to be even more difficult she felt...particularly after what had just happened between Gowen and herself. As Gowen began to speak she glanced over at him and started to nod until she heard his last statement. She had known that he had feelings for her, but to hear him express his love for her was rather overwhelming. She remained quiet, letting him speak. She watched his eyes as they drifted over her body. It was surprising to her to learn that he had never been with a woman before, although it also wasn't surprising. Gowen seemed like the kind of man who didn't just drift from one woman to the next. He wanted love and she appreciated that. She remained quiet for a moment after he had finished speaking before finally breaking the silence.

"I have feelings for you as well Gowen. My...my relationship with Havan has changed, but I do still love him. Perhaps what I am feeling for you is also love, but please know that I can make you no promises at this point."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:15 pm

Gowen listened to her words and thought about her kiss once more. He was responsible for his men and for her. For Havan and for the long days of planning by his superiors. So far they’d allowed him to conduct his own missions and they had done so well they continued to allow him to continue. Now though...why was he so worried? Because now, unlike before...he had so much to lose.

“I won’t ask you to make any promises to me Kressara. The world his placed you here with me and no matter what happens now, I won’t go to my death without knowing what it feels like to care for someone. It won’t change anything, we all have responsibilities and duties. It’s just...it’s just,” he stammered and shook his head. For the first time that she had ever known him, Gowen was at a loss for words. That and the smile that was always present upon his face had faded to the look of seriousness. His love for her filled the space between them and his eyes became...softer somehow and brighter at the same time. “It’s just I never thought that I needed anyone until now Kressara. I don’t tell you this to obligate you. I tell you this because I love you,” He said. Then, as if a switch was toggled that look was gone and he was just Gowen once more. He straightened and bowed regally to her. “Princess, make yourself ready, we have to be leagues from here before nightfall,” He said and moved to gather up his shield and spear that were leaned up against a tent post.

Havan got his quiver, his pack and his weapons. He was sweating buckets and terrified out of his mind but he left the tent and headed toward the western picket line where they were supposed to meet up. The attack on the eastern slope was about to begin and they had a limited amount of time to kill the few sentries and get behind their lines.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:41 pm

Kressara felt overcome by Gowen's words. They made her heart beat harder in her chest and her body tremble with emotions. She knew that his words were honest and true. He asked nothing of her, which only made her feelings for him deepen. There were no promises...just their exposed feelings laid out between them. The situation was complicated for more than one reason, but now was not the time to focus on themselves. They had an extremely important mission to complete. Many Gondorian soldiers lives were depending upon them to be successful in this endeavor and they could not let them down. Kressara thought to just let Gowen go, but just as he started to step away from her she grabbed his lapel and pulled him to her and kissed him one last time. She then released him and walked out of the tent to go gather her weapons.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:11 pm

As the fighting began Gowen lifted up the fence and ushered them each, one by one out into the trench once more. Wick shot a Haradrim soldier right off before he even knew they were there and Forgus rushed forward quickly into a small group of soldiers who were supposed to be watching this side of the front line though the fighting was on the eastern side. He kicked one and then brought his heavy hammer to bear and crushed the skull of the other one like a melon. Blood squirted all over his breastplate. Yearly leaped on the other one and drove his short blade into his throat. Just as quickly as it started it was over and yearly took a few steps forward to listen. He raised his hand as a sign that they could move up, the coast was clear. When Gowen and the others drew up Gowen frowned at the bloodied corpses.

“Ok, what part of ‘as clean as possible’ did you not understand Forgus?” He whispered. The sounds of battle rang out above them so they had to get close to be able to hear him. Yearly disrobed the soldier he killed and put on the uniform. As they passed over the other one Kressara saw Havan throw up as he came up to the body. Gowen was in the rear and she couldn’t hear what he said to Havan but Havan nodded as he wiped his face and stepped away from the bodies. Eventually they each had a uniform to wear complete with helmets though Forgus couldn’t really wear the tunics, most Haradrim were smaller than he but he did put on a helmet though it fit him tightly. Once while they moved through the trench a Haradrim soldier jumped down behind Havan and though Havan had his sword out he hesitated and Gowen ended up spearing the soldier in the back. “Move havan...go!” Gowen barked and Havan began moving again though Kressara saw him sweating terribly and he had a wild, fearful look in his eyes. After over an hour of walking they stopped just before the end of the crevice they had been running in and took a short breather. Gowen gave Kressara a concerned look as he passed by them to go talk to Yearly at the front. Havan drank a good deal of his water and she saw his hands shaking which made the task difficult and he nearly dropped as much as he swallowed.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:40 pm

Despite all that had happened that day, Kressara was able to push it all aside to focus on the mission that lay before them. She had her quiver slung across her back and her sword at her side. She also had two long daggers tucked into her belt. She was prepared to face whatever they confronted. She walked behind Yearly and in front of Havan and Gowen. Very quickly they came upon a small group of Haradrim soldiers. Kressara pulled out one of her long daggers and came up behind one of them. She threw one hand over his mouth and slit his throat with the other. She then dropped the body down and stepped over it. Up ahead she spotted the remains of a Haradrim soldier whose head had been utterly smashed by Forgus' hammer. It was a horrific sight, but she had become numb to it all by now and simply walked around it. However, she did glance back to see Havan become sick at the sight. She sighed and began to feel that his coming was not a good idea. They each used some of the Haradrim uniforms to try and disguise themselves. Unlike Forgus, for Kressara the problem was that the uniform was too big on her, but she made the best of it.

As they continued on Kressara heard a commotion towards the back of the line and looked over to see Gowen spear a Haradrim soldier in the back who had jumped down behind Havan. She could see Havan's sword out, but it was clear that he hadn't even tried to kill the soldier. She could see him trembling and see the fearful look in his eyes. She sighed softly and continued on. Finally, after over an hour they decided to take a short break. Kressara's eyes met Gowen's briefly as he passed by her and she could see the concerned look he gave her. She finally walked over to Havan and looked at him. "Havan, I've been patient with you over everything that happened and have done my best to help you. But unfortunately now I cannot continue to be patient. You chose to come with us...you begged Gowen to let you come. This mission is vitally important. We need the old Havan back. You are a great soldier. I need you to try and push through all of your fears...otherwise out here they are going to consume you and I won't be able to help you. Please Havan..."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:21 am

After seeing the dead Haradrim with his head split open, Havan knew he had made a terrible mistake coming here. But there was no going back. He trudged along with the others, hoping beyond hope that somehow his fear would end and he’d be able to fight. It was unusually warm this morning and the dust from the crevice they traveled was everywhere. In his eyes, up his nose and in his hair. He hated that damp, grimy feeling but there was nothing for it but to keep going. He had to keep going for himself, for Gondor and for Kressara.

Later he had heard the footfalls and knew what they were. When he drew out his sword, for a moment he felt so much fear that he couldn’t even lift up his arm. He knew this Haradrim soldier was going to kill him and yet he could do nothing to stop it. Gowen had speared him in the back and drew him to the ground. Gowen only looked at him but Havan could barely even look him in the face. Once more he felt as if he wanted to turn back but he knew that was not possible now.

Later, after they stopped and Kressara came to check on him he found it difficult to look at her as well. Her words made his heart drop and he knew she was right. However he had suddenly became defensive and lashed out at her.

“Don’t you think I know it’s important! And I am trying Kressara! Do you think I am not!?” He snapped angrily though they spoke in soft tones. His face was already covered in dirt and he had a pained scowl upon his face. “Now leave me be!” He said and actually pushed her out of his way as he stepped by her. No one said anything to them for some time after that and with the end of the crevice before them they all had no choice but to climb out and continue on toward the hills.

As before the landscape was mostly flat with large rock formations here and there which always made it difficult to see Haradrim scouts even with Yearly’s eyes. With he and Kressara at the front though they did see a patrol that had stopped to rest in the shade of a small grouping of rocks just North of their position. There were enough of them though that everyone would be needed to take them down. Once their first arrows struck they’d all likely take cover and they’d have to close on them quickly. As the signal to begin was given by Gowen, surprisingly Havan stepped up with his shortbow and fired with she and Wick and he hit his target. 3 Haradrim were down in moments and Havan slid to the east and shot another as Wick and Kressara shifted westward to take down 2 others. The others rushed them before the last shot by Kressara missed when the soldier jerked back into cover. Havan hung back as they engaged them and when they arrived there were far more Haradrim then they initially thought. Kressara was engaged by 2, 1 with a spear while Forgus shovedone back then bashed another with his hammer in the shoulder. She heard bones crack and armor splinter at the massive impact as Gowen arrived to help them. Wick and Havan hung back and made short work of those that tried to flee. Shooting someone in the back was not very honorable but it was just something they had to do. It wasn’t long before the patrol was dispatched and Havan had killed 3 out of that number. It was brutal work and as always Gowen moved about the bodies and used his spear to end those that had not died in the initial assault while the others took a short break to rest.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:52 am

Kressara had hated saying what she had said to Havan, but it had needed to be said. She needed him to push aside his fears and help them. She had expected his anger, but what she hadn't expected was him physically pushing her aside. She very nearly stumbled, but caught her balance. As she watched him walk away she knew in her heart that their relationship was over. It broke her heart and made her want to cry, but she couldn't. Instead, she just walked on, forcing aside her sadness for the sake of the mission.

After they were forced to climb out of the trench they began to cross over a flat landscape, which unfortunately meant they were nearly completely exposed. There were several large rock formations scattered about the area and Kressara knew that it was always possible that Haradrim soldiers were hiding behind those rocks. She walked out front with Yearly, using her half elven eyes to scan the horizon for any signs of the enemy. Suddenly, she and Yearly spotted a patrol resting near a group of rocks just north of them. She knew that they would use the rocks to their advantage, but there was no other option. They needed to take them down. She readied an arrow and waited for Gowen to give the signal to fire, but suddenly she sensed someone walk up near her. Looking over she was surprised to see Havan there with his shortbow at the ready. She gave him a little nod and then as soon as Gowen gave the signal they all fired. They took down 3 easily, but now the real fight would begin because the others were now alerted to their presence. Kressara fired quickly, one arrow after the arrow, but suddenly she found herself engaged with two Haradrim. Just as she ran one through with her sword she saw Forgus kill the other with his hammer. She gave him a nod of appreciation and glanced over to see Gowen as he came over to help. All with Havan they managed to kill all of them and they were able to relax temporarily. Kressara walked around and collected her arrows out of the bodies while Gowen checked each dead soldier. She took a moment to drink some water before approaching Havan.

"That was good work. You are very good with a bow."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:17 pm

Havan was cleaning his arrows though it had taken alot to pluck them out of the men he killed. “Thank you,” He said softly and looked up into her face. “I don’t see it anymore, in your eyes,” Havan said as she looked up at his face when he said that. His expression was filled with worry and hurt at what was happening between them. “Do you still love me Kressara? Or have I messed that up too?” He asked mournfully and he took a step toward her as he set his last arrow back into his quiver that hung on his left hip. He put his left hand on her right shoulder. Obviously he didn’t intend to let her put off her responses though this was hardly the place to have such a conversation.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:01 pm

Kressara looked up at Havan and into his eyes. "Of course I do Havan," she said in a voice that would let Havan know that she meant what she said. "I will always love you." Tears then slowly began to fill her eyes. "But too much has changed between us. You have been through something that I could not imagine and you need time to heal and I must focus on this war. It is why I was trained. I do not think less of you Havan. In fact, I think you are the bravest man I have ever met."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:25 am

Havan actually smiled at her. It had taken a lot to come out here and more and more his fears, his apprehension about being out here was fading. It wasn’t completely gone to be sure but it no longer at such a tight grasp upon him. He still looked around though in hopes no be else heard their conversation. Her compliment made his cheeks flush anyway.

“Thank you Kressara,” he said softly and lingered for a few more moments. Just being this close to her helped to settle him. She could be quite irritating at times but also quite soothing too, like now. Gowen raised his spear once more, a sign they’d be moving again.

As they continued they met other patrols and small bands of soldiers as well as scouts either single or in pairs. Each time they defeated them easily, Yearly’s caution and Kressara’s eyes kept them always aware of what was coming. The men they killed on this short journey could no longer be easily counted and as the sun began to dip low to the west Yearly had them stop for the night in a small dip in the landscape next to several large rocks that sat by themselves. That night they ate their fortified rations though they were not all that tasty. They had the consistency of a moist, dense cake with a black color and it still took a lot to choke them down. Rikil though had passed around some dried, sweet apricots though which seemed to bolster everyone’s spirits a little. Forgus even offered everyone a pull or two from his flask that held apple brandy. Gowen and Kressara took first watch and settle down to watch the night amongst the rocks. Soon the soft sound of sleeping came to their ears and Gowen moved silently over to where she sat.

“Anything?” He asked almost in a whisper as he put a hand on her shoulder. Her eyes were undoubtedly much better than his. That’s why he paired her with him...partly the reason.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:06 am

Though the conversation had been extremely difficult for Kressara she felt a weight lifted off her shoulders once it was done. She had not lied to Havan, she would always love him but she felt their time together was over. Havan needed to heal and she felt that the pressure of their relationship would not help him. This in the end was best for them both...though that made it no less difficult.

As the group started off once more Kressara walked at the front with Yearly. The group walked in silence for hours and Kressara quickly lost count of the number of Haradrim soldiers they had killed and with every kill Havan seemed to become more like himself again. Finally, they stopped for the evening to rest. Kressara, like the others, was tired and glad for an opportunity to eat, though the food was not exactly appetizing. However, she ate it, but was pleasantly surprised when Rikil brought forth some dried apricots. They were sweet and took away the bitter taste of the cake. Everyone began to relax some, though they all still remained on high alert and Kressara even partook in a sip from Frogus' flask of apple brandy. While the others then prepared to sleep, Kressara prepared for the first watch with Gowen. Kressara placed herself in a position where she could see easily, though she herself remained hidden. She sensed Gowen move closer to her and she glanced over at him slightly when he placed a hand upon her shoulder. Her eyes then caught sight of movement in the darkness and she tensed up slightly as her eyes focused upon it. Then, the origin of the movement revealed itself...a rabbit and Kressara slowly relaxed.

"A rabbit," she whispered back.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:22 pm

Gowen looked out over the barren landscape only dimly lit with the pale orb of the moon high above a starlit sky. He watched as the rabbit hopped quickly away and it wasn’t long before something screeched in the distance and then it’s sounds of pain were cut off abruptly. Gowen stopped behind the rock to be close to Kressara then settled into a squat, and used the haft of his spear to balance himself. His shield was nearby, its face nearly black in the darkness.

He could barely see her but he could smell her in that darkness. “One more day of travel and we’ll be at those hills,” he said softly. “I’m thinking of holding Havan back with Forgus and going with Yearly myself,” he said. That part of their mission was by far the most dangerous. He wasn't certain if Havan was up to the task. That and he knew Kressara had feelings for the man. They were still betrothed and he didn’t want to put him in that peril when it was likely he and Yearly wouldn’t survive. Gowen was never one to give an order that he wouldn’t follow himself and he hoped she didn’t know his mind as far as that part of the mission was concerned. Yearly had already accepted that he was likely a dead man but it wasn’t so easy for Gowen. Not now. Not when his heart was so filled with joy over his love for Kressara.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:40 pm

Unlike Gowen, Kressara's eyes could see him in the darkness. She watched him as he gazed out over the black landscape before them. It was so quiet that she could hear his heart beating. She was quiet as he revealed to her that he planned on going out with Yearly himself. She felt a mixture of feelings rise up within her because she knew the truth behind why he was swapping out himself for Havan. In that moment she felt what she knew was love for Gowen. Only a man with a true heart would do something like that, when it was likely that both he and Yearly would die. She felt her heart break and had to fight back a few tears. She wasn't sure if she should tell him or not, but she finally decided that he deserved to know the truth.

"I love Havan and always will...but my relationship with him is over. It's what's best for the both of us."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:01 pm

Gowen was about to say more but her words brought him up short. His breathing paused a moment and he turned to look over at her though he couldn’t really see her. “Did you really come here for him Kressara? Or was it something else too?” He asked plainly.

Havan was listening to their conversation. Though he breathed as if he were asleep. He didn’t need to hear Kressara say what she said, he knew full well it was essentially over between them. When she made love to him last it wasn’t the same as he remembered it. She held back and he knew it but just didn’t say anything.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:37 pm

Kressara was quiet a long while as she considered Gowen's question before finally speaking. "It's...complicated. The honest answer is that it is my destiny to be in this war. My mother has said that mere hours after I was born she had a vision in her sleep that I was destined to fight in this war as she had been destined to fight in the War of the Ring. I didn't know this until I revealed to her that I had begun having similar dreams. I didn't know what any of it meant. I only knew that I felt I was different from my other sisters. The first time I held a true sword I felt...connected to it. There is a strange grace to it. I take no pleasure in killing. I would avoid it if I had to, but there is often no other choice. I was afraid that I would be treated differently because I'm a woman and a princess. But among this group I feel that I am not above or below anyone...but equal. I want to fight...to do my part in bringing peace again...even if it is a small part."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:19 pm

Gowen sniffed audibly. “A small part? Tell that to each soldier that gets to go home to his family. Every child that gets to see his or her father again. None of us like killing. It brings me no solace to know that those that we kill might have a family, a daughter or son that will never see their father again. But such is the way of war. Winning or losing, it doesn’t change the terrible, horrific loss of life, Kressara,” Gowen said softly.

“Perhaps it should be your brother, Eldarion here instead of you. Perhaps if he understood this, your father would not have been so quick to give the Haradrim the war they wanted,” he said unashamedly. “It is true that I do not know the King, and that he had just been here a few
Months ago but this war has to end Kressara,” he said unhappily. It did not please him at all to say it but he had held it in for so long. He hoped it didn’t offend her.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:31 pm

"My father is doing everything he can to end this war," Kressara snapped at Gowen. "He didn't ask for this, nor did he want it...he or my mother. They have already lived through one war and they sacrificed greatly for it. They spent decades together fighting and were willing to do whatever it took to not only end that war but to win it as well. Peace is all they want and for you to insinuate that my father just gave into this war without a second thought is insulting. I watched he and my mother agonize over it. They didn't sleep...they didn't eat because they knew what it would mean that soldiers would not come home to their families. And I am willing to die to protect any Gondorian soldier just as I know you are. Just because I am not my brother doesn't mean that I cannot do my part."

She then got up and moved away from Gowen. She still sat keeping watch, but she was tense now and angry.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:19 am

Gowen sighed and straightened though hunched so that his profile did not rise above the rocks and shadows then shifted to squat again near her. “You know that’s not what I meant. Eldarion will be a King someday, to see this, to ‘experience’ this, might give him insight. However, since ‘you’ have experienced this. Perhaps you could advise him?” Gowen said plainly in hushed tones just loud enough for her ears to hear him. “There are many of us who believe that the King is still angry at the Haradrim for their part in the war of the ring. “Do you think he would give concessions to a people who he was still angry with?” He asked. “And we all know of what’s happening in the Northeast. Invaders from the East are pushing West. This offensive I’ll push the Haradrim deeper into the south. Deeper into the barren lands and the deserts. Do you know what’s it’s like to live in such an inhospitable place?” He asked unabashedly. He so wanted her to understand him. Gowen hater war and fighting and death. All of it. He was not convinced that an agreement that benefited both peoples couldn’t be made. Even now. Instead many more men were going to die soon and that was a bitter pill to swallow silently.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:45 am

Kressara remained angry, but she didn't move away from Gowen. "That war is over and time has moved on. My parents are not ones to hold a grudge such as one that would cause even more bloodshed. Peace is all they have ever sought and fought for. As for my brother, he is well aware of what is happening out here. To be very honest he would like to be out here fighting, but he is the heir to the throne and therefore quite important to Gondor. His life cannot be spared...unlike mine."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:56 am

Gowen harrumphed obviously unconvinced that she knew what she was talking about. He had to remind himself that she was very young still and more than a little naive. He supposed it was natural to defend her family and to think that her father, a man widely loved and respected, couldn’t make mistakes. But she had not been here. He had left some very harsh, hasty orders to the men here and then left abruptly as if something was more urgent than this war. How to explain…

“You know he left suddenly and handed down some hard orders before he left. Right in the middle of negotiations. So you will forgive me if i don’t see it all the way you do Kressara,” he said and then stepped away from her a bit angry himself, now.

Kressara would remember that that would have been the time her mother had been in danger and she herself came to Gehanna. Her father came soon after and he was quite angry with her mother.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next