The 4th Age
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just Another Mission

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Just Another Mission - Page 2 Empty Re: Just Another Mission

Post by XslvrstarX Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:05 am

Kressara was angry and upset and suddenly felt utterly alone. What was she supposed to do? Give in and speak ill against her parents? She was confused now about her feelings towards Gowen. Did he think her just some princess playing "war" with the real soldiers? Did he think this entire thing a game that her parents were playing or that they didn't care? She watched him walk away and now she got up and walked over to him.

"My parents are not perfect Gowen. No one is. I know the exact time you are talking about and I could explain it to you, but I suddenly doubt that you will care. You seem to have made your mind up about them...and probably about me too."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:25 am

Gowen was not the typical soldier. He cared about all life, not just that of his own people. But that was who he was and yet he followed his orders if he believed in them or not. He had led these men and Kressara too to great effect against these Haradrim. And their forays and missions. They had all taken many lives, too many Gowen felt but there was nothing for it now. “What do you mean? I’m here aren't I? Forging the way for the slaughter that is coming,” Gowen said bitterly. “I’ll i am saying is that it is important for us not to forget these days and how important each life is,” he said in a grumble and then would speak no more.

Later they were relieved by Yearly and Rikil. Gowen made a point of bedding down opposite Kressara obviously not wanting to chance that she’d speak to him further this night. They were awakened by forgus and Havan who had the last watch. Wick was the only 1 tonight to be allowed to sleep through.

The next morning they hastily ate more rations and drank and headed off once more. Eerily there were few Haradrim patrols out this far south. They rested briefly in the afternoon and then once more as the rocky hills came into view as the sun began its long trek downward toward the western horizon once more. Just before dusk they needed to be in position so Wick and Kressara could make their harrowing climb up the rockface, which was by no means going to be easy, up to take out those archer who guarded the eastern pass and the clearing on the south side of the hills in the small valley where their main encampment was. Near to the rocks were the storage tents where Yearly and Gowen were to poison their water supply. Hardly an honorable thing to do but war was war and they all had their orders.

Conleth
Admin

https://adsr.4umer.com

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:42 am

Kressara was tired, both physically and mentally. These past few months of fighting and killing had taken a toll on them all, but this mission was vitally important and they all needed to focus. Kressara remained quiet, letting them both cool down. She knew that ultimately their anger was not towards each other, but at the entire situation and the deaths of innocent men. Killing the Haradrim brought no joy to Kressara. In fact, killing ultimately bothered her, but she knew it was unfortunately necessary.

She and Gowen spoke nothing else to each other for the remainder of the evening, though they both remained on watch until they were relieved by Yearly and Rikil. Kressara laid down, but found sleep difficult. It was too hard for her not to think about all that had been said by them both. Her anger had faded and once again warm thoughts of Gowen filled her head and her heart. The following morning she ate with the others before the group once again set off. Throughout the day she and Gowen said nothing to each other, but she knew she couldn't let that silence last. It was quite possible that death would finally happen among their group and Kressara couldn't leave things unsaid. Finally, they neared the rocky hills which she and Wick would have to climb. The sun was going to be setting very soon and time was limited. However, Kressara found a brief moment to speak to Gowen alone.

"I'm sorry for all that I said last night," Kressara said softly, but honestly. "I know that my parents have made some mistakes. They aren't perfect as I said. But please know that they would not doing something intentionally to bring death to our soldiers. Please know as well that I love you Gowen. You are a great soldier...and an even better man."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:03 am

Gowen did not take well to compliments. Those, he felt, were for better men than he was. He was tired, they all were and it was so hot and stifling that he wanted to toss aside every stitch of clothing but that only made him think of her, without her clothes on and his cheeks flushed when she slid up to him while the others began to hash out specifics to one another. Gowen looked down at her words and then shifted his gaze up to her eyes. She was so lovely, so...beautiful it made him crazy, sometimes. He wanted to feel her lips again. Her lips and her naked body up against him. He wanted to taste her flesh and for her to taste his. He wanted everything and more. He knew he was a dead man and he had never ‘been’ with a woman. He nor Wick or Rikil had never known a woman. Yearly had, he had been married for many years before his wife and daughter died. Forgus was still married and had...was it 9 children or 10? Gowen wasn’t certain now nor did he think he remembered all of their names right then.

“I’m just a man Kressara,” Gowen said with a grin. It was odd too that he was grinning in a time like this but he was. “And...I’m...sorry too,” He said softly and risked his men seeing him reach up with his right hand and hold the left side of the Princess’s face. He mouthed the words…’I love you’ and then let her go lest he take her to the ground right then and there and to hell with whomever remained to watch. His flesh burned for her and his heart beat what seemed to be 1000 times a second. His eyes were large and clear as they shared their last look. “Wick...you get her home, do you hear me?” Gowen said and it wasn’t a question. “I sir,” He said plainly.

“Son of a flaming milk drinker!” Yearly cursed and Gowen released Kressara quickly and looked around. ‘Where…” he began wondering where Havan was. “There!” Rikil groaned and they all looked as Havan was already down the slope and into the valley. “Wick...Kressara...go, go! May the light preserve us all,! He said urgently. “And may the hand of the mother, guide you home,” Rikil intoned reverently as they all split up.

The rock face with almost flat with just enough in the flanges of the shale and rock to get their fingers onto as they began their climb. Wick turned out to be good at this though this was Kressara’s first time on a ‘cliff’. Before long a drop from this height would mean certain death and it was then that she released that getting her bow or blade out quickly was not going to be easy if at all possible.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:49 am

Kressara leaned into Gowen's gentle touch, but her eyes remained on his. If this was the last moments she was going to share with him hen she wanted them to be tender, loving moments and for him to truly know how she felt. Nothing was left unsaid. As he spoke to Wick she felt a few tears fill her eyes. This moment had come too soon and she prayed that they would all see each other again.

Suddenly, her gaze was pulled away when she heard Yearly curse. She looked over and saw that Havan was missing. Looking down the slope she could see him and felt a wave of fear come over her for his safety. But there was nothing for it now. They all had to act quickly. Kressara followed closely behind Wick and together they began to climb up the rock face. Kressara had climbed trees before, but nothing like this. However, she remained calm and just pushed herself to keep going and not look down. She carefully, but quickly found her foot and hand holds and continued up the cliff, hoping that she and Wick would get up there in time.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:22 pm

Now, Gowen could do little but remain there with Forgus and Rikil as Yearly shifted onto his belly and began to slither after Havan like a snake in the rocks. Once he got the all clear from Kressara they’d move down into the valley to protect their route for escape. It was a tight fit for 2 men who stood side by side so he was certain Forgus could hold the pass himself if he wanted to. But with his shield and spear he’d be able to keep him from being shot though his breastplate did most of that. So far, no arrow has been made that could pierce it.

Havan moved along in a crawl and sometimes upon his belly. There were no Haradrim in the pass but he could see several down in the clearing. Some women and children were there too, unfortunately. The vials of poison would not discriminate on who drank the water and the thought of killing women and children did not sit well with him. But he had come this far he might as well get this done.

The rock didn't always have hand and foot holds in convenient places. Sometimes Wick had to shift to come to her and she him when there were not places to hold onto. That and Wick was showing her how to test the rock so that it didn’t crumble as she put weight upon it. That had already sent shale and bits of rock down which made a terrible racket in her ears anyway. Repeated noises of that type would most certainly bring someone to look and she knew likely they had eyes looking North too. Inch by inch they climbed and as the sun disappeared and the moon rose the light coloring of the rocks gave off a white glow that allowed her to see quite well in the darkness. When her hand felt a tuft of dry grass she knew she had reached the top and she drew it back so quickly in surprise that a few small stones came with it and bounded down the rockface. Wick winced and froze as she heard someone move up above her. With a slight tilt of her head she saw someone standing right above her looking out at the landscape. To her dismay the Haradrim looked somewhat shorter than she had seen before and she smelled hints of Jasmine and bath oils. It was a woman. No, not a woman, a girl! Wick saw her too and he shifted slowly and drew out his knife. Her eyes met his and he mouthed something to her.

“Do it!” He said and his eyes shot hot anger at her as the moment drew on. Any moment she could look down and then that would be that. He was too far to the side to be able to reach or she was certain he would have killed her by now. What Gowen had said to her last night echoed in her head right then.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:32 pm

Kressara was standing on a ledge at the very top of the cliff. There was only a little light left in the sky and the moon had risen. Kressara was relieved to be at the top, but she knew her work had only just begun. She was about to start to pull herself over the top when she suddenly heard movement above her. She froze and looked up and spotted what she first assumed was a male Haradrim soldier, but as she looked more closely she realized that not only was it a female, but a young girl. She was looking out over the dark landscape and had not yet spotted them but it would only take a single glance down. She started to reach for her bow, but then visibly hesitated. Gowen’s words rang in her ears and she desperately tried to think of a way to save this girl. She was innocent in all of this, but had marked her own death sentence by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. She knew that every moment she hesitated that the success of their mission faultered. She did not want to do this, but she had to. Steeling herself, she reached into her quiver and pulled out an arrow. She had to kill her in one shot. There was no room for error. She nocked her arrow and drew it back. The girl turned and Kressara had a perfect shot of her neck.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered to the girl in the darkness and then she fired...

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:09 pm

ooc: new thread

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content