The 4th Age
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Maiden Of Tanchico

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Maiden Of Tanchico Empty The Maiden Of Tanchico

Post by Conleth Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:47 pm

The chance was just too good to pass up, Ulrich, a competitor of Severin’s had a contract to steal The Maiden of Tanchico, one of the most valuable paintings in the known world. It sat in the office of the Cardinal himself, high up within the church complex in the nobles quarter. It would take a bit of patience, treacherous climbing, lock picking, silent stepping and hiding to accomplish this feat but it was worth a fortune. That and Ulrich’s reputation would be ruined. He knew Lorelei could do it but he had nearly burned his bridge with her. However, he did have a plan.

When she ‘dained’ to step foot back into his home he had Anne ask her to come to his study to speak with him. She had taken her sweet time about it but eventually she arrived and he handed her a glass of red wine, one of his best of his own vineyard. However when he tried to give it to her she just stood there indignantly with her usual angry look.

“Oh just have a drink with me!” he barked. “We have good news you and I,” he told her. “I say you and I because I have one last mission for you and this one is straight forward,” he said as he set the glass into her fingers then clinked it and drank from his own. From her perspective he looked...almost happy, which was very very rare.

Conleth
Admin

https://adsr.4umer.com

Back to top Go down

The Maiden Of Tanchico Empty Re: The Maiden Of Tanchico

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:17 pm

Lorelei was not in the best of moods when she stepped back into Severin's home. She was still angry at Severin for what he had almost forced her to do, but she was also upset over Armand...and herself. She had let herself become attached to Armand...even fall in love with him, but she knew she couldn't be with him...and she knew that ultimately he would never trust her. She was informed that Severin wanted to see her, but she decided to make him wait a little while. She did everything she could to stall, including changing her outfit four times. However, she finally walked into his study. He tried to hand her a glass of red wine, but she just stood there with her arms crossed over her chest until he finally forced her to take the glass. She didn't sip it but looked at him.

"What do you mean one last mission?"

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:24 pm

He smiled brightly at her. “I’m leaving Paris and soon,” he said as he nodded to her and took another sip of wine. “For good I think...I doubt that will displease you,” he added as he poured himself more wine.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:28 pm

Lorelei wasn't entirely sure what to say. She was happy that she would no longer be in his employment, but at the same time the thought of being without him scared her. He took care of her financially and gave her nearly everything she wanted. Where would she even live?

"And what is to happen to me?"

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:39 pm

He shrugged as if her welfare was not his concern at all. “You’ll have more than enough money for a nice place I would imagine. God only knows what you’ve squirreled away but alas, I can not take you with me. I have had correspondence with a noble woman that I intend to marry,” he said more than pleased with himself. All of this was true, as far as the planning went but he had no real intention to leave. He had just made it look like he was. He knew she’d check through his papers and such and she’d find what she should find though he did hide a few things intentionally to make her look for them. If she found it all to easily she’d get suspicious.

“You are going to steal something for me and for that I will pay up the lease here for a year. Everything in your rooms is yours ofcourse and all that I leave here. I can not take much nor do I intend to,” he said. “Aw, you look...unhappy puppet, I thought you hated me?” he said as he leaned forward and gave her a chaste peck on the cheek. He wasn’t drunk but he also didn’t sound like his usual self to be sure. “Everything depended on my bride to be’s answer and after so many months I wondered if she would say yes. I realize this is sudden but she wishes us wed by the end of the year. I didn’t think you’d mind, we haven’t exactly been getting along lately,” he added.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:45 pm

Lorelei was suspicious of what Severin was telling her, but if this was an opportunity to get away from him for good then she planned to take it. She couldn't help but notice that Severin wasn't exactly behaving himself. She couldn't smell alcohol on him though. She decided to keep her guard up and remain on her toes. Severin was a devious man and she didn't trust what he was telling her fully.

"What is it exactly that I have to steal?"

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:10 pm

Severin giggled with glee, actual glee. He loved to burn his competitors down, it was by far his favorite thing to do. “I finally can settle the score between Ulrich and I,” she knew that name well. He had tried to have her killed several times and each time left him with wounded or men to bury. “You my lovely are going to steal for me The Maiden of Tanchico,” he said with his eyes lit up like stars in the sky. She knew of this painting, every good thief did. She also knew it was no picnic to get to it and the only way she would was from the outside. Inside the upper halls and towers of the massive complex were guarded like a fortress. She also knew who it belonged to. The Cardinal would be furious when he discovered it missing. It was a great challenge and one that was all on her if she failed. However it was a straight task as well. If Severin wanted it and it certainly looked like he did, he'd have to give her room to tackle it the way she wanted. He had interfered with her before and Ulrich had taken the prize.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:16 pm

Lorelei's eyes widened when she heard what it was he wanted her to steal. She knew of this painting and knew not only who it belonged to, but how difficult it would be to obtain. She downed her wine in one gulp and looked at him.

"Is this for you or did someone else ask you to do this?"

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:25 pm

He quirked an eyebrow at Lorelei, wondering if she were fishing for information. “What should matter to you is that you will be free of me with the means to live as you please. And don’t act like you’ll miss me, I know you won’t!” he said irritably. “But living on your own is not so easy as you think. Not in this stinking city,” he scoffed. “If you want something from me I give you this once to ask it. Otherwise, get it done and soon! I mean to be away by September at the latest,” He waited but he was an impatient man and looked at her expectantly. Undoubtedly a theft this big she would want a cut and this is where the negotiations started. She already knew that one year of rent here was alot but besides that the painting was worth thousands of Francs.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:44 pm

Lorelei's eyes narrowed at Severin. She didn't like this at all. However, doing this would mean freedom from him. However, this was no ordinary theft. The risk to her was very high. She was an excellent thief, but this would push her skills to the limit. Thus she felt she deserved a fair cut of whatever he would get for it.

"I want 40 percent," she said as she crossed her arms over her ch st.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:48 pm

She seemed to take a defiant stance and if Severin was any other man he would have rolled up his sleeves. Without hesitation he countered her offer, “25,” he said quickly, his eyes going darker. He hated giving her profits. This was not the first time but she had accumulated alot of appraisal skill in her years as a thief.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:53 pm

Lorelei's eyes narrowed even further. She would not let Severin intimidate her...not this time. She would get a fair cut or she wouldn't do it.

"35."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:09 pm

Severin nearly growled, he would not allow her to get the edge on him. “25, and you buy your own gear!” He barked. “He had rarely offered her that much of a cut in anything. She stood to gain enough Francs to own a plantation herself and pay someone else to run it besides. “And I have a sweetener...my ledger with the cypher to translate it,” he said as he pulled a small, brown bound booklet from his breast pocket. It was small, the book fit easily in his hand. He grinned as he saw her practically lick her lips. In this book were every fence he used to sell goods, every commoner and noble he had done business with and their information. With that she didn’t need him at all and she could continue to operate in Paris indefinitely. He put it back into his pocket and offered her more wine. Tonight, they would celebrate and Severin did a fair job of pleasuring her. As he was fucking her she knew this would be the last time she’d have to share his bed. After he came she saw him sit on the edge of the bed. He looked...a little sad, like perhaps he to felt that it wasn’t all bad. What they just had shared hadn’t been though it might be difficult to forgive his past cruelties. There was a time he wasn’t as he was now though. He had taken care of her. Taught her table manners and how to eat and sit and speak. Perhaps he considered them even after this score. His last effort to provide for her though it would be her own doing. His book of contacts was worth alot more then the painting alone over time.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:54 pm

Lorelei was about to strongly object to the 25 percent, but she immediately paused when she saw him pull out the object she knew she would need and the object she wanted. With those names and the money she would get and the items she could sell she would be able to live comfortably in Paris.

Later that night she lay there with him in his bed for likely the last time. She had been surprised by his attention towards her that night. Normally he could be rather selfish. However tonight she was left rather breathless. Afterwards she noticed that he almost looked sad. Perhaps he said was also thinking of those better times. She sat up slightly and looked at him.

"I won't forget what you've done for me..." She said rather gently l.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:46 pm

He looked at her as if to say he would miss her though he wasn’t going anywhere nor was she. He needed her to think he was so she’d get this thing done without causing trouble. He had no intention of giving her his ledger. She’d hate him for that as she’d hate him for lying to her. She’d have to accept the 25 percent and be happy with that. It was a grand joke...for him alone and his eyes were sufficiently sullen as he looked at her and he sighed remorsefully for spice. When it came to innuendo and deception Severin was still the master and she the student. He put on his robe and left her there alone in his his bed holding his stomach as if his feelings were affecting him more than he thought they would.

Supplies were easy to find, she’d need climbing claws, silk rope a new grappling hook wrapped in silk to mask the sound of its landing. Caltrops with a heavy gauge to toss at doors so the guards would step on them incase she made too much noise. In the square there was the market and behind several barrels, boxes and carts there was ‘the’ market where thieves, cutpurses and cat burglars could find such things for hefty prices. Haggling was an artform all on its own there and she had gotten bargains, some for as little as a kiss or as much as a handjob.

She had spent the day eating a pastry as she toured the grand chapel and its cobbled surround. The Cardinal’s office was near the top of the Eastern tower, 9 stories up. For the bulk of the main Chapel she’d have no difficulty getting up to the roof via a thick drain pipe but she would need to mind the moon shadows in two places. A cloudy night would be preferable and no rain and then the long, difficult climb up the southern side of the tower. She could wear burlap in strips here and there to make herself look more like the stones and break up her profile if a guard actually managed to look up. Loose stones were always a problem and she’d have to just take it slow. A fallen stone brought guards and they’d likely see her if they searched long enough. She could unlock the large shudders to the closest window but it would involve balancing with just her feet so she could use her hands. Once the lock was picked she would be home free if she made no noise. The office was likely locked and guarded from the hall inside. She’d cut the painting out of its frame, drop a line out the window and it would be money in her hands!

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:21 pm

Lorelei knew exactly where to go to obtain the supplies she would need. She was well known in the thieves market and extremely well liked by the men there. She kept her mouth shut about the job and within a few hours she had all of the supplies she would need. With this taken care of she decided to tour the area surrounding the grand chapel so she could assess the situation fully. No one paid her any mind because she looked perfectly normal. She even smiled at a few guards that she passed by and they blushed from her attention.

Two nights later was the perfect night. It was a cloudy, rainless night. It was a rather cool night as well which meant less people out. She wore an outfit Serevin had made especially for occasions such as this. It consisted of tight fitting black pants and knee high boots and a tighter fitting black top. She didn't want any piece of clothing to possibly snag and the black helped to conceal her a little more in the darkness.

The first part of the climb was fairly easy. Lorelei was in excellent shape and climbed the thick drain pipe quickly. The second part was not quite as easy. Lorelei used the burlap strips she had brought to wrap around herself to conceal herself against the stones as she climbed up the southern side of the tower. She had to move slowly, being careful not to knock out any lose stones. She had to remain perfectly quiet and not a sound was heard from her. She finally made it to the top and situated herself in front of the closest window she could find. Carefully balancing herself, she unlocked the shudders and picked the lock on the window. It slid open without any creaks and she slipped inside. Moving like a cat she made her way down towards the office. Once she reached the hallway that led down to the office she paused and peered ever so slightly around the corner. She spotted a single guard. He wasn't wearing any armor. She pulled a small blow dart out of her pocket and inserted a thin dart. With incredible stealth she positioned the end of the blow dart just around the corner. She peered around just enough to see the guard. She took aim at his neck and blew on the end of the blow dart. It struck him and within seconds he became dizzy and several seconds later he collapsed to the floor unconscious. She hadn't used enough poison to kill him, but it would keep him unconscious for several hours. She quickly moved over to the office door and within a matter of seconds she had the door unlocked. She opened the door and walked inside. Hanging there behind the massive, carved desk was her prize, The Maiden of Tanchico. She smiled knowing she was home free. She moved towards the painting and pulled it off the wall. She laid it down on the desk and then pulled out her small knife....

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:36 pm

The painting was an original painted by the renoun Flemish born painter Ambroise Dubois in 1594. It depicted a woman that held a large clay pot of water on her shoulder. Her dress was simple and white and very short just below the knee. The painting was a major scandal when it was first shown and the church had had it confiscated long ago. It was presumed destroyed for its risque depiction of a virgin woman but it was rumored that the Cardinal had kept it as a memento. As she cut the fringe Lorelei heard the sound of footsteps.They paused and she heard a gasp then a rattle and faster footsteps then a pause and rattle. “Aye...aye! Ya slog!No sleepin on tha job ya bumkin!”She heard. As she stowed the painting she heard whomever it was making a large rattle and she heard slapping noises. There was another window that led out from here and its frame looked solid enough to hold a grappling hook. The only issue she would know of was that they’d know how the theft happened. But not as bad as having to get into a melee with a guard or three.

“He is donkered?” “I dun think so...he’s just sleepin I thinks...see his chest is movin!” The other said. “Betta report it and check the doors again just ta be sure,” the other said.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:48 pm

Lorelei had just started to cut when the sounds of footsteps stopped her in her tracks. She could hear them outside the door as they discovered their drugged companion. She began to cut faster. She would have liked to have taken her time, but now there was the possibility of her getting caught. She was sweating now and tried to remain calm as she finally freed the canvas from the frame. She began to roll it and slipped it into her bag. She pulled out her grappling hook and rope and made her way over to one of the windows. She threw the window up and secured the grappling hook. She threw the rope down out of the window and quickly put herself into position. She had hastily put on the thick leather gloves she had brought and she began to slide down the rope. Glancing up she suddenly saw the face of a guard looking down in shock at her.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:07 pm

The guard panicked and instead of trying to use his sword or a knife on the rope be tried to pry it free. “Alarm! Alarm! Thieves!!! Alarm!” He shouted as he grunted and tried to pry it off the window sill. Lorelei felt it budge so it was only a matter of time before he had it free if he didn’t remember he had something sharp to cut the rope first. His alarm however, coming from up high had guards pouring up the stairs into the buildings.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:10 pm

OOC-I'm assuming you want her to be caught by the guards, right?

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:19 pm

ooc: No, not yet

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:20 pm

ooc: she will succeed

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:33 pm

Lorelei's heart was racing. She could hear the guards now running through the building. Looking down she could see the ground drawing closer. She slid down the rope as quickly as possible. Every second felt like an hour. Finally, her feet touched the ground. Without a moment's hesitation she began to run. She knew her way around Paris better than anyone and she knew all of the secret alleyways and the shortcuts. Lorelei was renting a room in one of the Inns and she quickly made her way there. She continued to look back over her shoulder until she was satisfied that she had not been followed. It was the very early morning hours and no one was up yet in the Inn. She was therefore able to enter and make her way quietly upstairs to her room without drawing any suspicion. Once there she locked the door and allowed herself to relax. She had pulled it off! She couldn't wait to see the look on Severin's face. Lorelei removed the thick gloves and reached into her bag and carefully removed the rolled up piece of canvas. With steady, soft hands she unrolled it and for the first time was able to really look at the painting. She marveled at the detail and the color. For half a moment she considered just fleeing with the painting, but she knew Severin would find her. She sighed and rolled it back up and carefully stored it. She then changed and hid all of the items she had used under the bed.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:52 pm

Severin was happy. In fact, he kissed her cheek in a friendly way when she unfolded it for him. She had never seen him so happy and when Severin was happy he was hardly the same man. They dined well that night, Caviar and mussels smothered in garlic butter. Champagne, white wine and and the tenderest beef she had ever tasted and the desserts...Strawberry tarts with fresh cream, truffles and the richest chocolate cake in the world. When she  returned home he left her to her own designs and for days he set about looking for a buyer. However none would touch it right then as the church and thus, the King and his Musketeers had been arresting everyone who might be suspected or could have pulled off the crime.

The prisons were filling up and it became more and more difficult to remain calm even in her own home even though Severin told her they had no way of finding anything out if she were careful. However they did have her grappling hook and silk rope. Those were not common, especially the rope. She decided to take a look at the thieves market and poke around a bit to see who might know more than they should. Severin had been scarce the last day but that wasn’t unusual for him especially when he had loot to unload and not all of his fences were nearby.

In the evening the market had some activity but when she approached the thieves market...the barrels were on a hinge and what you did was tilt them up, they were made of thin, light wood, and what you did is scuttle down into the basement. However as she approached she saw several people on the ground, their wrists behind them in irons and the barrels had been smashed. Before she could back away and blend back into the crowd though a hand covered her mouth and she was yanked back behind one of the stone walls of the market. When the hand was removed a familiar face was in front of her, Armand.

Even before she could say anything he kissed her...deeply. He felt her pull away for a moment to see it was really him and when she did see it was him she kissed him back furiously. After alot more kissing, they were both nearly breathless he looked her over. “God I missed you!” he said and gave her one, final, passionate kiss.

“Uh...Loren...what are you doing out here...its...not exactly safe right now,” he said and his eyes shifted to the left and right as if he expected someone to walk by any moment and he collected himself to some degree.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:10 pm

Lorelei had never seen Severin so happy before. It was actually quite startling. However, she did not question it, nor his pride in her. That night they toasted to her success and she ate and drank to her heart's content. While Severin returned home, Lorelei remained in Paris. She quite enjoyed watching the commotion she had caused. Everywhere men were being arrested...suspected of being the thief. Lorelei almost wished she could reveal that it had not been a man, but a woman who had pulled off this feat. Musketeers roamed the streets looking for information. On several occasions Lorelei spotted Armand from afar, but she never approached him.

Unfortunately, one of the items she had been forced to leave behind was the silk rope she had used. It was not exactly common and she began to worry that it might somehow be traced back to her. She decided she needed to go back to the thieves market to see what anyone knew. She made her way there that evening, but before she could enter the basement she spotted several men from the thieves market in shackles. It was clear from the smashed barrel that the entrance had been discovered.

She started to back into the crowd to disappear when she suddenly felt a hand over her mouth. She was yanked behind a wall and when the hand was removed she was surprised to find herself standing face to face with Armand. She opened her mouth to speak, but before she could he kissed her deeply. She pulled back for half a second and looked at him before kissing him passionately. This continued on for some time before they finally had to break for some air. Her lips were still pink and her face somewhat flushed as she looked at him.

"I was just out for a walk. What are you doing here?"

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum