The 4th Age
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sauce For the Goose

2 posters

Go down

Sauce For the Goose Empty Sauce For the Goose

Post by Conleth Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:34 am

Silas lounged back in his chair next to a small, wooden table, he had a bottle of rum half empty in front of him and Nels, a thin, short haired woman dozed at his side. Reggie was across from him talking to another man, large bellied with short brown hair and a scraggly bread. He was known as Combs and was pretty much a busy body of everything that happened in and around Sussex.

“C’mon man, the king?” reggie asked. “Fer certain sure, I’d swear such on me mudders grave I woulds,” Comb’s replied. Silas looked like he could care less what the man said but he had been listening to Combs lay out what he had heard already from a much more reliable source.

‘So, this Duke of Cumberland is going to try and make all Pirating illegal is he?’ Silas had been operating in the French, English shipping lanes. He had captured alot of gold coming from France. Gold that looked like payment money for something. He knew Cumberland was involved with Silver mining and that England didn’t have alot of gold. Likely this Cumberland found a buy who was willing to pay what his ore was worth? Well, his ships always surrendered and the take’s were always well worth it. But this? This he hadn’t expected. And likely if it went through, if the King’s decree was changed he’d not have a safe port anywhere in English waters. No one would and he was much better known than most now. Suddenly he stood, “Tsst,” he clicked and Nels was up in a moment. Reggie too and the three of them stalked out of the bar.

--------------------------

Bok was a game where one used guile and counting to figure out how to not show your opponents what you were looking for and come up with the best hand you could before they did. It was fun and addictive and Emma was very good at is she discovered. Her dogs sat with their feet on the table seemingly interested in her cards. They were just happy animals, happy to be involved in some way. Happy as they had had alot to eat lately and loved their forays onto the beach. ‘Bok,” Grace said and moans came from around the table. Emma wasn’t going to win this hand but she had won 3 of the last 5.

“Pirating of all things Martha? Why so secret? Everyone knows about that?” Grace asked as she dealt out another hand. Martha’s husband was a prominent naval commander. Retired now but he still consulted. Martha couldn’t have been over 30 and her husband Benji had to have been in his 50s. Yet she seemed happy enough.

Conleth
Admin

https://adsr.4umer.com

Back to top Go down

Sauce For the Goose Empty Re: Sauce For the Goose

Post by XslvrstarX Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:49 am

This was the fourth day in a row that Nathan had left early and it was likely that she wasn't going to see him at all that day. She understood that something important was happening, but this was also supposed to be their Honeymoon and yet it was clear that she was going to be spending half of it without him. She found ways to keep herself entertained though. Some of the other wives had invited her to play Bok and she happily agreed. She enjoyed the game and was becoming quite good. She and the other women sat at a table outside. Emma's dogs sat on her lap while she played. While Emma had won the last few hands, it was clear that this hand just wasn't in her favor and so she wasn't surprised when Grace won the hand.

"I know that Nathan has lost a few of his ore mining payments to pirates and he's quite upset about it," Emma replied as she took a sip of her wine.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:20 am

Danielle, a french woman who was also playing chuckled at Emma’s response. “A few? More than a few I think. My husband and the Duke,” When they only said ‘the Duke’ it was a foregone conclusion they meant Duke Cumberland as he was one of the most powerful men in England right now. Though his influence has begun to wane. “Have lost a heavy sum to this...this Mormont. And no one has ever heard of him,” she said as she looked at her cards. She had a thick French accent but spoke english well enough to understand her. She looked up and smiled at them and her eyes took on a far away look as if she were daydreaming. “I sometimes wonder what this Silas Mormont looks like. A Pirate Captain, a Buccaneer of note as he. They say he is a young, beautiful man with eyes like the ocean and hair like spun gold,” she said. She sighed as if she would like to see him now...or ‘be’ with him now. Some of the other women had flecks of crimson in their cheeks too which said alot about how boring the life of a wife of a man in politics can be. Emma drew 2 10s of hearts, an 8 of diamonds, a 4 of diamonds and a jack of spades. She noticed that her last card had blonde hair and blue eyes and looked quite the knave like perhaps this Silas Mormont might be.

“In any case The Duke is in a rage over his losses and intends on seeing this man killed or captured at any cost,” she added. “There is Urgency to this too,” Martha said as she pursed her lips to her cards but Emma knew she was bluffing. She had done that before. “My husband is to accompany a large shipment of silver ore next month. The largest yet so he says,” she added and asked for 1 card. Emma knew Martha had 2 pair and didn’t get anything more from her last draw.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:39 am

OOC-Just FYI I don't know anything about poker if that is what Bok is based on so I will leave it up to you to control the cards that Emma has and puts down.

IC-Emma glanced over at Danielle slightly from her cards when she commented that it was more than just a few. Emma of course knew about their financial situation because of these thefts, but she didn't want others to know. It would cause her husband to lose more political power and influence and she didn't want that to happen. When Danielle went on to describe what this Silas Mormont looked like she couldn't help but think of the blonde haired, blue eyed stranger she had encountered several times now. Could it be...? No, that was ridiculous. There are plenty of blonde haired, blue eyed men out there and the possibility that that man was him was quite low.

"Well, if he is stealing from my husband then he deserves to be killed or captured. We should not put up with such acts."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:58 am

Murmurs and nods to what Emma said went around the room. More women drew cards and discarded cards. One discard was another 8 and Emma knew she needed it but it was covered up by a 5 of hearts. When the turn got around to her she picked up another jack that martha discarded, the Jack of diamonds this time and she discarded her 4. Grace looked at her then her discard and Emma knew she was scrutinizing her face. If they were on to her collecting Jack’s she’d not get another one. If they thought she was collecting diamonds for a straight or flush, that was fine though.

“It's just we all know the King intends on going abroad, for some time, this conference had been planned for over 2 months yet my husband said nothing at all of it until he’s rushing me to pack. I forgot my best shoes too!” Danielle said and other women chimed in with similar experiences and annoyance that they should be left in the dark then forced to rush into packing and leaving. Martha was beside herself, her daughter had just had her 13th name day and she had a huge party planned for it.

Emma had seen many of these women at her wedding but not at the engagement party. There was something more to all of this she might think but like Bok it was a series of near misses, feints and guile and who knows what else. “Men and their secrets,” Grace said as if they could keep anything from their women. Men liked to talk when they were in bed with them. Martha and Danielle both snickered at that.

ooc-thats ok, its just flavor to introduce clues to the larger plot.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:07 am

Emma listened as the women talked, but also paid close attention to her cards and the cards that were being discarded. She found it rather strange that the men had been planning this conference for months and yet all of the women said that their husbands suddenly wanted them to come and rushed them into packing. Glancing around the table, Emma recognized many of the women as having been at her wedding, but not her engagement ball. She couldn't help but feel that something bigger was going on and she began to feel suspicious, although she told herself that she was being ridiculous. She no longer really felt like playing, but she continued on, smiling and acting as though she nothing were happening.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:25 am

On her next turn she had seen the 8. That would give her a full hand. A strong hand but for some odd reason she drew a card instead. She was shocked until she saw the card. Another jack, of hearts this time. A full hand but the other way. A stronger one too but she saw Martha had picked up another 7. Grace had given her 2 now.

“The Flying Wolf, even the name of his ship sounds dubious,” Grace said. “They say he cut the hand off of a pirate named Black Sam, I wonder if his skin was really black?” She asked. “I’ve seen the black skinned men,” Danielle replied. “Big men with bulging...muscles,” she said and snickered. The other women guffawed at that. “I believe they come from Afrika,” she said as she discarded a 10 of clubs. It was Martha’s turn and she gave Emma a suspicious look as if she was worried about the card she intended to discard. “I’ve heard that the docks are filled with pirates too and other riff raff,” Martha said. “Oh I know,” Grace said worriedly. “You’d think we were a bit too close to that sort here,” she added. ‘But the view!” Danielle said. “It is, perfection!” She said excitedly. “We will miss you tomorrow Emma!” Grace said. “Oh yes,” Martha said excitedly. ‘We will let you know if it is good or not, Veramonda…” She said and they all nodded. There was an Opera tomorrow night but the Duke had been so busy he had forgotten all about it. It was full now though and Emma would have to go another night.

To Emma’s surprise and delight Martha discarded the Jack of clubs. It stared at her with dubious eyes and if she drew it she’d call Bok and it would be highly unlikely anyone could beat a 4 set. As she reached out for it that jack of spades in her hand seemed to wink at her mischievously.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:42 am

Emma had begun to doubt her decision to draw a card until she saw the Jack of hearts. If only she could get one more without drawing any suspicion to herself. She was excited about her hand and the possibility of winning again, but at the same time she was intrigued by what was being said about this pirate. Her mind also continued to drift back to the blonde haired man from her engagement ball. She was surprised that she continued to think about him even after knowing that he had stolen her mother's diamond bracelet from her, but she couldn't help herself. He had been the most handsome man she had ever seen. Quickly, she pulled her mind back to the game, knowing that if she didn't pay attention she would lose. She could tell that Martha was thinking hard about what card to discard from her hand. She prayed that the card was what she would need.

"I am certain you all will have a good time tomorrow night," Emma replied with a little smile. She was disappointed about not being able to go with the other women, but had tried not to show it in front of Nathan. To her sudden surprise, Martha discarded a Jack of Clubs. Emma kept her face straight as she slowly reached out and picked up the card. Only after she had placed it in her hand and discard the last card she did not need did she smile.

"Bok," she said as she showed her fanned out hand of Jacks.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:08 pm

The other women groaned and also laughed. “I see you like to keep the rogues to yourself Emma!” Danielle said happily. “Nice hand Emma,” Grace said though Martha scowled. She was a competitive sort and liked to win. And it was her card she won with. Danielle had a full hand too, Emma had been right about that.

That evening the Duke returned and he had been quiet all through dinner. She could tell something was bothering him and when she tried to ask about it it was as if her attention made him feel worse. That night he had went straight to bed too which he never did. He always had sex with her and even when she tried to encourage him he had said he was tired.

The next morning he ate breakfast with her and asked how she was doing and about Bok and other things but it all sounded...forced and awkward. Like he was just shining her on until he had to leave, which she knew he would. “I’ll be out late my dear,” he said as he walked with her out in the gardens. All of nathan’s intelligence had said that there was alot of men on the docks that morning and the likelihood that something was going to happen was certain. He was taking a real chance by doing this. He was beginning to fall for Emma and felt in time she would at least care for him if not already. But business was business and he needed this to happen. When he said goodbye he kissed her quite...passionately, which was rare for him.

Dinner alone was not so grand. There were others there though none she knew and she insisted on having her pups too. Sausages and potatoes, a simpler fare but quite tasty and her dogs couldn’t get enough. Helen and Emily sat with her that evening in the sitting room. Normally when she was entertaining it was not protocol for them to be seen and if seen never heard and so they sat in the back incase they were needed. Tonight though there were only her rules and the women were anxious to hear about the recent events, especially Helen who often wanted everything told in great detail.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:28 pm

That evening as Emma ate dinner alone with Nathan she could tell that something was on his mind. She believed it was the conference and that he was worrying about this pirate. She tried talking to him, but he seemed to pull further into himself and barely said anything to her. She knew something was really wrong when he went straight to sleep instead of making love to her first. This would be the first night since they were married that he had not. He simply turned on his side with his back to her and went to sleep. Emma wanted to do something to help him, but wasn't sure what she could do. He was her husband and she was going to support him no matter what.

At breakfast the next morning he did talk to her, but he didn't sound like himself. It sounded as if he were forcing a conversation and trying to act as if nothing was wrong. She reached out and took his hand and gave his hand a comforting, reassuring squeeze to let him know that she would stand behind him through all of this. He then did something she was not expecting. He kissed her rather passionately right before he left. She watched him leave and sighed softly.

She did not see him again that day. He had always arrived for dinner, but tonight she ate alone. She decided to eat alone and had Helen and Emily eat with her. As she ate she fed her dogs bits of sausage, which they couldn't get enough of. She told the two women everything from the past week and a half...particularly any gossip she had heard. She also spoke about Silas, the pirate from the Flying Wolf that had been taking her husband's payments.

"He is apparently the one that has been causing Nathan all of this trouble. Nathan is quite angry about it and I believe they are going to try and get a law passed about pirating."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:44 pm

The women laughed and spoke about the future. As a duchess Emma was going to have her hands full but also be one of the most influential women in England. That was exciting to say the least and Emily was honored to know her. Any talk of advanced of women excited Emily for she felt that women were capable of so much more than men could ever conceive. It was then that all of their talking paused after they hear a loud, ‘boom’, not far off. As they began to settle, it hadn’t happened again they heard another and then another and another and men shouting. Helen’s eyes grew large and she rushed out onto the front terrace though Emily and Emma tried to stop her. Men, scores of them were climbing over the compound wall. All 3 of them watched them land in horror amongst the bushes and shrubs and drew out swords and pistols and charged toward the soldiers who were stationed to guard the resort.

“Emma...what do we do!?” Emily asked. “Not stick around to find out what they want!” Helen said and grabbed Emma’s hand.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:00 pm

Emma was about to suggest that they start on dessert when suddenly they heard a loud 'boom'. The women were all startled and yelled out as they jumped. They began to hear it again and again and then suddenly the booming stopped and they heard men's voices. Emma watched as Helen rushed out onto the terrace and tried to stop her. She moved carefully out onto the terrace and looked down to see dozens of men climbing over the resort wall. Emma felt terror come over her when she saw their pistols. She didn't know where Nathan was and she Emily and Helen were alone in the room. Emma grabbed her dogs and ran with Helen and Emily out of the room. She didn't know where to go, but she knew they couldn't stay where they were. Her dogs barked out of fear, but she tried to shush them.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:44 pm

The resort had 2 floors and 5 stairwells. A main one in the front and centered, and 1 on each corner. They could try three but Helen suggested the rear one since it was closer to the stables. As they descended they heard footsteps above them and men shouting. Women’s screams echoed through the building and they slowed when they got down close to the bottom. In the distance they saw men run here and there and Helen quickly held a hand of Emily’s mouth when they saw a dead soldier at the base of the stairs. Emma noticed he was young and his dark eyes were already glazed as they stared blankly to the sky. Near his outstretched hand was a pistol though and as she bent to grab it, once she did one of her dogs hopped down out of her arms and ran back up the stairs.

‘I’ll get her!” Emily said and lifted up the hem of her dress to chase after it. Helen pointed to a few horses that had been tied too tightly for them to escape. They jumped and fought their ropes but couldn’t manage to get loose. “Can you ride?” Helen asked. “I can,” she said and licked her lips. The courtyard began to get filled with smoke. A fire had been set, they could smell it and the smoke from the gunfire too. ‘Lets go!” Helen said, not caring about Emily or the dog. She was terrified and wanted away, now!

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:03 pm

Emma was trying to remain calm as she, Emily, and Helen descended the steps at the back of the building towards the stables. Above them, Emma could hear shouting and screams and gunfire. Her heart was pounding in her chest as she moved carefully, but quickly down the steps. At the bottom of stairs Emma was shocked to see a dead soldier laying on the ground. His eyes were open and stared blankly up at the stars. She felt a wave of terror come over her, but she then spotted his pistol. She began to reach for it when suddenly one of her dogs jumped out of her arms and ran back up the stairs. She yelled after the dog, but she disappeared. To her horror Emily suddenly said she would get her and ran after her up the stairs. She yelled after Emily, but to no avail. She could suddenly smell smoke and real panic began to set in. She looked back at Helen who was ready to grab a horse, but Emma couldn't leave Emily.

"Here, take him!" she said as she gave Helen her other Cavalier Spaniel. She then began to run back up the stairs hoping to locate Emily.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:34 pm

There were so many men and so few soldiers. Emma knew there had been more, where were they? Her brain was so frazzled in fear and none of this made any sense. Who  was attacking the resort and why? She made it to the top and she heard Emily scream but then her voice was suddenly muffled. When she turned to look up she saw a large man rip at Emily’s dress. Two others stood behind him and grinned darkly. It was clear that they were going to rape her but she only had one shot. If she spent it it would be her next and Helen too most likely.

“Orson! Get off of her!” She heard a woman’s voice and to her complete surprise the thin woman that she saw on the beach and the large, bald, bearded man...came up to the other 3. “She’s mine Nels, I’ll take her as ma share!” He said as he ripped Emily’s dress and exposed her breasts. Emily had tilted her head up and was looking at Emma. her eyes, silently begging her to help her. However the woman the man called Nels clubbed him in the side of the head with her cudgel and he fell off of Emily to the side. Her dog was nowhere in sight right then. “No rapin, Cap’ns orders fuchuhs, now git up and find err!” She growled. “An bind tha one, noaw!” She said in a commanding voice. She also noticed something else though, that woman was wearing her bracelet. It could have been another diamond bracelet but Emma knew different and she also knew she better get back down if she had any hope of escaping.

Downstairs Helen was still there trembling and rushed to her when she saw Emma. Just before they set to run for the horses though 2 more men came into the stairwell. An older, bald man with a mean look and the blue eyed man! Instinctively she held the pistol out at him and his smile drew down into a frown and he held up his hands. “I think she means to shoot us Bale,” he said and the older man spat something brown at his feet. “Emma, right?” he said and his smile returned though it had something else attached to it, resignation. As if he had found what he was looking for.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:44 pm

Emma ran up the stairs. Her heart was pounding so loudly in her ears that she couldn't hear anything else. Why was this happening? What did these men want? She began to fear that perhaps this had something to do with the proposal her husband had set before the King. She just needed to find Emily and get out. She nearly made it to the top of the stairs when she suddenly spotted Emily. Three men stood around her and one of the men was ripping at her dress! She knew that she only had one shot and there were three men there. However, she knew she had to do something. She began to aim at the man ripping at Emily's dress when suddenly she heard a woman's voice. To her surprise she saw the thin woman with the short blonde hair that she recognized from the accident with the coach and from the beach. Looking at the woman she spotted a diamond bracelet on her wrist. It was her mother's diamond bracelet! That man had stolen it from her and given it to this woman!

Knowing that Emily was safe for now, Emma quickly started back down the stairs. She ran over to Helen and the two women began to untie the horses. However, before they could mount them two men appeared in the stairwell and one of them was the blue eyed man. She raised her gun up in defense and it was clear that she would shoot one of them if they came close.

"And I'm assuming that you are Silas. I'm warning you to stay away from me. I will shoot you if you come any closer."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:03 pm

Silas winced but not out of fear. Her pointing the gun at him did annoy him though. And then there was Emma. Even though she was obviously afraid and angry she was magnificent! His smile returned on his face. He couldn’t help it, when he looked at her it made his heart bloom in his chest. “You know, I think she means it Bale?” he said as he turned for a moment. Helen was having trouble getting her horse under control and Emma hadn’t started with hers yet. And they did move closer, it was dark and he didn’t want someone shooting them or the women, especially Emma. He needed her more than everyone else combined. “But...uh, it's not loaded,” Silas said and put his hands down. He was calm as if this was a normal day at the beach for him. She had the hammer pulled back but it was impossible to tell if it were loaded. To her horror others arrived behind him. The woman, the large man and more. “This cunt the one Cap’n?” the woman said. She sneered at Emma and put her hands on her hips. “She’s a stupid git, the gun ain’t even loaded...c’mon Cap’n, what we needin ere for?” she said but she also had a concerned look in her face. Was it jealousy? Certainly not…

Just then a man seized Helen and when Emma turned around the gun went off and she shot him in the foot. He fell back screaming in pain and two more took his place as her dog ran off. Everyone else laughed. People were fighting and dying and this man was laughing? No she’d know, he was laughing at her as the other man, he was tall in a white shirt with no sleeves and short pants of some kind, moved up between her and the horse. Silas’s and Emmas eyes met for a moment and he saw fear in them but also anger, for him for who he was. “Bind and gag them,,, lets move!” he shouted and she felt a heavy set of arms envelope her.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:22 pm

Emma kept her gun level at Silas' chest. She couldn't hide the fear in her eyes, but she was also angry...very angry and was clearly prepared to kill someone if she had to. Suddenly the man smiled and she could see almost a sparkle to his eye. The way he looked at her...

When Silas moved Emma pulled the hammer back and tried to steady her nerves. She had never shot anyone before, but would do it to protect Helen and herself. He told her it wasn't loaded, but she believed he was bluffing. She continued to stand her ground. She didn't believe he could tell if it was loaded or not. Suddenly, the large man and the blonde woman arrived and they were followed by several other men. She and Helen were now completely outnumbered, but Emma did not let her fear overtake her. She suddenly heard Helen scream and she turned around quickly and the gun discharged, shooting the man in the foot. She watched heartbroken as her other dog ran away in fear. She dropped the gun but was prepared to fight still. She felt strong arms around her and she began to fight against him. She had heels on and she stepped hard on his toes. He released her just enough that she was able to slip out of his arms. She began to run.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:22 pm

Silas sighed…”Reggie, if you please,” he said and reggie took off after her to Nels laughing. There were other soldiers, all dead peppered about the ground as she ran but as she cleared the hedge the resort wall was there and when she slowed up she felt a large pair of arms haul her up and sling her like a sack over a massive shoulder.

Her shouts to release her were...satisfying, Silas thought. Until Nels gagged and bound her. It was a short run to the long boats and as the shore drew further and further Silas saw the hope of escape or rescue die in her eyes. He hated to see that, from her and the other one was crying and trembling. “There was another girl, where is she?” Silas asked concernedly. “Stone took her,” someone said and Silas nodded thoughtfully as they continued to row. There was a ship a fair bit from shore, a fairly large ship from what she could tell and 2 other small ships just off of it a bit. 3 in all with long boats rowing to each and each having hostages, mostly women upon them. Thick, gnarled hands lifted her to her feet as they began to embark the large ship. Up on the deck there were more men all working the sails and preparing to get underway as she could tell.

They brought her up a flight of step onto another, smaller deck and then pushed her inside a large cabin. It smelled musty inside and was in fairly good order save for the clutter of artifacts, some she had never seen before. A spear and shield that looked like nothing she had ever seen. The large, skeletal jaws of some kind of sea creature, books and ledgers, maps all over a large, wooden desk, sextants and writing instruments too. She was made to sit at one of the two chairs and Helen was sat next to her. Silas, as she heard them call him, or Captain or Cap’n in that broken sailor speech poured himself something from a tall, black bottle. It smelled strong but she licked her lips anyway due to how dry her mouth was right then. He took a sip then set his mug down on his desk.

“First things first,” he said as he approached her. Her wrist bindings and gag were still on but before she could lift up her hands for him to remove them his slap came quick and sharp across her face. “That was for pointing a weapon at me...dont do it again,” he warned and then she remembered it was him that got back at her father for kicking him. Their gags were removed but not their bindings. “I am Captain Silas Mormont and you are my hostages” he said. If Helen was crying before, hearing the name Mormont made her wail now.

ooc-thats a good spot to end. you can start a new one if you like.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:52 pm

OOC-New thread

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content