The 4th Age
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Catching Up (October 2001)

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Catching Up (October 2001) Empty Catching Up (October 2001)

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:47 am

That morning Kate had called Phil. She hadn't seen him in weeks and wanted to update him on what was going on. They agreed to meet informally for lunch so they technically weren't breaking any rules. Kate knew that the others didn't trust SHIELD, but if Loki was involved then they needed to know. She also missed Phil and wanted generally to see him. They decided to meet at a pizza place they loved and she smiled when she walked in and saw him already there. After her parents had died, Phil had become her guardian and had helped to raise her. He had also personally trained her, although she had The Mandarin to thank for her new skills. As she approached the table, Phil stood up and they embraced. 

"How have you been?" she asked as they sat down.

--------------------------------------------------

Isabella was in the kitchen making some tea when Frank walked in. Everyone else was scattered around the Tower, or out. She and Frank hadn't really had a chance to talk since he and Ava had moved in. "So, are you and Ava getting settled?"

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Catching Up (October 2001) Empty Re: Catching Up (October 2001)

Post by Conleth Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:28 am

Phil hadn't seen Kate in quite a while. Since she had become an Avenger, and Steve Rogers live in girlfriend, he didn't see much of her. He liked Steve. He respected and looked up to him. He was honest, straight forward and dependable. Kate was too though she had lied in the past as an Agent. That was part of her job though. And he liked her where she was now more than with SHIELD. She could be herself there.

"Oh, surviving," He said as he sat down with her. "You know Nick. Always another threat that takes precedent. I never got a chance to tell you how proud I am of you Kate. Somehow I knew you'd move past SHIELD. And find something better," He said with a grin as their menu's were brought to them.

"Uh, we'll need a few minutes," He told the waitress and they were alone, once more.

---------------------

"As good as we can be," Frank said. Frank would always have a soft spot in his heart for Isabella. He had thought he loved her once. And, well, maybe he still did. He did not love Ava the same way as Isabella. And he had loved his wife different than the two of them. Its like a different kind of feeling for each of them women in his life. He still missed his wife, still loved Isabella and loved Ava as well. It was all a complicated mess of emotion inside of his head.

"Micro is having another van built. Van's these days are rare," Frank said. "It wasn't easy seeing you again. It never is when I think about what we had together. I can put it all behind me, move on but then there you are again and then it all comes flooding back," Frank said. "Ava is great but she's not you," Frank said honestly.

Conleth
Admin

https://adsr.4umer.com

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:42 am

Kate saw the waitress look at her and could tell that she recognized her. Since becoming an Avenger and dating Steve, Kate had become quite well known. Like Isabella, she was an inspiration for young women and she had spoken at events and schools. Kate loved doing such events. It was certainly not something she had been able to do at SHIELD. Kate had learned a lot from SHIELD, but she knew she was in a better place with the Avengers.

"Have you ever thought about leaving SHIELD?"

-----------------------------------------

Isabella looked at Frank and knew she would always have feelings for him, but she didn't love him like she loved Tony. Tony was the only man she could see herself with. The man could drive her crazy, but they balanced each other out and made an incredible team. 

"Frank, I think you have a great thing going with Ava. She clearly loves you and I've seen you two together. You make a great team. Are you saying you don't love her?"

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:03 am

"Well...you know how it is. I've been there a long time. They have a great benefits plan...retirement, the whole deal. It's...I've been there too long to leave I think," Phil said. "besides, who'll keep Nick honest? Well More honest than he is," he said with a grin.

Phil didn't really answer her question but he did give her an answer. "You and Steve talking about getting married anytime soon? Inquiring minds want to know...and every tabloid on the planet," He said. "Don't you think it's about time?" He asked.

-------------------

Frank winced. "Well, yeah. But she's younger. More impressionable. And I'm aging. I can feel it. Getting...slower. And I don't bounce back from injuries like I used to. I don't have the super soldier serum to keep me young and vigorous," He said. "Nor do I have a suit that protects me. Just my flesh and whatever body armor I can scrounge up," He said. "I've got scars on scars," he said. "I wonder if she could have more, ya know? A family, a life that doesn't involve violence. I know she's made her own choices but I think she'd follow me if I left the life," He said. He just knew he couldn't. Not until he took out the man that was the father of all of his pain and suffering.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:12 am

Kate took a sip of her water and then looked at Phil. "I mean, if he asked me I would say yes, but he hasn't asked me and I don't think he's going to...at least not while we're dealing with what we're dealing with. And that brings me to the real reason I asked you to meet me for lunch. There have been some really weird things happening to the team lately and we have a strong suspicion that Loki is behind it...including what happened with Tony. I mean come on Phil. You know Tony and I know you know that he would never be that reckless around a weapon."

---------------------------------------

Isabella put down her tea cup and walked over to Frank. "Ava is an adult and this is her choice. Don't push her away just because you think you aren't good enough for her. I mean she's not staying with you because of your money and hot ride," she teased with a smile.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:30 am

Phil frowned. He did think that that whole thing with Tony Stark was odd but he had his orders. That, and what they were working with was extremely important. An unlimited power source. Nick only saw it useful for weaponry. Phil saw another use for it. Power...for the world.

"Well, you know I can't discuss that. What we're working on is important. And I'm not talking about a weapon. That's just Nick's flavor of the day. What I'm looking at is much bigger. Bigger than all of us, even Tony Stark," Phil said. Seeing what the Tesseract could do had changed him. Having his mind altered by Loki had also. "What If I told you that Tony Stark could endanger the project? Again, not the weaponry project. What If I told you that war could become unnecessary by this?" Phil said. "it's Tony's need to be center of attention that's part of the problem," Phil said.

--------------------

"No but I know If I stopped, if I presented her with that she'd jump at it. What does that really say to what she wants? She's doing what she does because she loves me. Not because she has to," Frank said. "I'm not certain I'm doing her any favors. Her 'problem's' been dealt with. She can move on. Try to make something of her life," Frank said. "I'm still in the pit, hackin and slashin my way to who I want to kill," Frank said.

"You know...your friends at the CIA could help me Isabella," Frank said. "You could to," He added.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:30 pm

Kate blinked at what Phil said. She was confused and unsure of what he was talking about. "What are you talking about?" she said in a low voice. She didn't think anyone was probably listening in to what they were saying, but she couldn't take any chances.

------------------------------------

Isabella sighed and rinsed out her tea mug and then put it in the dish drainer. She knew that Frank had been hunting for a long time the people who were responsible for his family's deaths. She wasn't certain she wanted to encourage his vigilante behavior, but she knew in her heart that he deserved justice for what happened. 

"If I decide to help you and if you find and kill this guy, what will you do then? Would you get out of this life?"

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:43 pm

Phil took a cursory look around and decided he could talk in a low tone and no one would hear them. "The more and more Earth is noticed in the...particular circles you all run with. The more dangerous is becomes for everyone on the planet. Tony's ego has invited alot of 'trouble' we don't need right now. That's why Nick's taking this route. And stepping further away from what is best for everyone," He said. "Aliens...Adgardians...the more we involve ourselves in 'that' the more dangerous it will be. All of our top scientists are in agreement on this Kate. He's got to try and stand down. You all do," Phil said.

--------------

"In a heartbeat. I mean, have you seen the price of gas lately? Or a box of bullets? This is not sustainable but if I gotta cut him down with rocks sticks? I will," Frank said as he looked into her eyes. He hated using people but he would use everyone he could to get Rawlins and Jigsaw. Including Ava and Isabella.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:47 pm

Kate ran a hand through her golden, blonde hair to move it out of her face and looked at Phil. "Ok, I need more information here. What exactly are you planning to do?"

--------------------------------------

Isabella had a strong suspicion that Frank was telling the truth about stepping away from this life. She just hoped that perhaps he would do so with Ava and settle down. "Ok, what exactly do you need from me then?"

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:56 pm

Phil leaned in. "We have something Kate. Something that can change the world. No more wars over energy or power. It can power everything without expending any more resources. Its clean energy and limitless. Too good to be true, I know but I've seen it work. Nick wants to use it to power the arc cannons Stark helped build. They've built them incase of an invasion Kate. Fury, Stark, a good offense is the best defense, isn't that what he says? Their wrong. We're all wrong and people, innocent people are going to pay the price for it," Phil said. "I joined SHIELD to try to protect those that can't fight for themselves. Not try to prove I'm the biggest kid on the block," Phil said.

---------------------------

"Rawlins has several homes and apartments. The problem is, I don't know his schedule. And I don't know them all. I need to know all of the addresses and when he's going to be at one of his houses so we can assault it and get em," Frank said.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:03 pm

Kate was growing more and more concerned by the second. She had never seen Phil like this before. He seemed...different to her and that worried her. She had already lost her parents. She couldn't lose him too.

"What do you have Phil?"

----------------------------------------

Isabella thought for a moment. She still had connections at the CIA. "I can call Renee and Alonzo and see what they might be able to do. I'm sure they could put a tail on him if I asked them too." She was quiet a moment before looking at him and speaking again. "Don't shut Ava out."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:11 pm

Phil was about to tell her than he leaned back. "Come back Kate...I...I need you. I can't do this on my own. Come back and help me. I can show you everything...I can show you...'It'," He said. "Once you see it and once you see what it can do...you will come to the same conclusion. We're cut from a similar cloth, you and I. I know your father would help me. Both your parents would," he said.

--------------------

"Yes...yes, that would help alot...but, will they do it and keep quiet? This is dangerous stuff Isabella. For everyone involved. And you let me worry about Ava," Frank said with an irritated look in his eyes.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:19 pm

Kate was surprised by what Phil said. Just a few minutes ago he was talking about how the Avengers was a better place for her, but now he was asking her to come back to SHIELD? Something was wrong here, but she wasn't sure what exactly it was. She needed to talk to Steve and the others about this.

"I'll think about it," she told him to appease him. "Let's order because I'm starving."

-----------------------------------

Isabella nodded. "I trust Renee and Alonzo with my life. They'll keep quiet about it. I promise you."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:56 pm

A few hours later, Kate returned from lunch with Phil. She was worried and that worry was evident in her eyes. She called for a meeting with the Avengers team and the group met in the conference room. Serena was with Sarah in the living room practicing the piano.

"Ok, so the reason I called this meeting is because I had lunch with Phil today. Something seemed...off about him to me. He's talking about this energy source that SHIELD has that will end all wars and protect the Earth. They want to use it to power the arc canon that they built. I tried to get him to tell me what it was that they had, but he refused. Instead, he wanted me to come back and work for SHIELD again. I'm concerned about what this thing is and what they are planning to do with it."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:09 pm

"Then...why don't you tell him you agree and go see it?" Logan said plainly. "Because that would be a lie, Logan," Steve said. "Yeah..but she's told those kinds of lies before," He said. "Only, it will be for us," He added. "I'm not certain I like that plan," Tony said. "Why not? If Phil has something or if he doesn't and he's got an agenda, how are we going to know otherwise?" Frank said.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:15 pm

Kate saw both sides of this argument. Part of her said that she shouldn't do it, but the other part of her was deeply worried about what was going on and believed the only way of finding out was to go back to SHIELD for the time being. She would still be working for the Avengers and feeding them information about what was going on. She was trained for situations like this.

"He said that Tony Stark and the Avengers need to stand down and that Tony could endanger whatever this project is."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:49 pm

Everyone seemed to be taking that all in except Steve who looked at Kate and then at everyone in turn. "Why don't we just go and ask them to see it? We know they have it, now we just go, and ask Nick to let us see it? If it's as dangerous or helpful as they say, then we should know about it. I highly doubt SHIELD could stop in invasion by themselves. There is more to this, as Kate says. But I don't want to put her in there if SHIELD is compromised. That would only add her to their list of assets," Steve said.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:54 pm

Kate wished it would be that easy, but she knew it wouldn't. "I tried to get Phil to tell me what it was, but he wouldn't even tell me unless I was back working for SHIELD. But the odd thing was was that at the beginning of our lunch he was telling me how much better it was for me to be with the Avengers versus SHIELD. I think something weird is going on. I think in order for us to find out what's going on that I'm going to have to go back to SHIELD temporarily."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:02 pm

"Well," Tony began but Steve cut him off. "No, I don't like that idea Kate. Think about it. If Phil is not himself, if Nick isn't, whats to stop whoever or whatever it is from getting you too? This is a bad idea and I don't want you to go," He said. "He didn't 'command' her not to go, that is not Steve's way but it was close.

"Steve, at least we will know for certain. Kate knows the risks, if she is willing, I think her going would be invaluable for us," Tony said. Steve furled his brow. "You mean, for you right? This whole thing started with that test," Steve said annoyedly. He took Kate's hand into his and calmed his face and tone. "Kate, c'mon, we can all go together. If they won't let us see what they're doing than we demand it," Steve said. "But if we do that, then they'd never take her in if they refuse us," Logan said.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:08 pm

Kate knew that Steve really didn't want her do this, but she just didn't see any other way of finding out what was going on. She looked at Steve and then glanced at Logan before looking back at him. "I'm sorry Steve, but Logan has a point. If we all go and demand it and they say no, which they will, then Nick will never allow Phil to bring me back. It's a risk, yes, but nearly everything we do here has risks. I just strongly feel that whatever this is is important and something we need to know about."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:14 pm

Steve wanted to say more but he was only one opinion here and he would not act like a child and get up from the table and go to his room, though he wanted to. His face took on a permanent look of disapproval though. "Any other objections?" Tony asked and looked around the room. Steve would not look at him, not anybody really. "You'll get used to it," Logan murmured under his breath as Steve removed his hand from Kate's. "Alright, then its settled, Kate, you leave tomorrow morning. Maybe send Phil a text now to pick you up or send a car," Tony said.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:17 pm

Kate felt Steve remove his hand from hers and she knew he was very upset. She just didn't know what else to do. When the meeting ended, Steve quickly got up and left. Kate sighed and sent Phil the text message. She was going to need to pack. She got up and followed Steve down to his room. She walked in and closed the door behind her and looked at him. "Steve, it's all going to be ok. This isn't permanent. I'm coming back here. I promise."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:25 pm

Steve was on her in an instant. "I have a right to be upset. I lost everyone when I took that plane into the ice. Everyone Kate. I can't lose anyone else. I just can't. I love you Kate and I won't be able to be there to protect you. I didn't sign on with you for this. What we do, we do together or not at all...remember? But this isn't us being together. This is you on your own," Steve said. When Kate tried to come to him he put his hands up.

"No...don't do that...don't do this," He asked once more.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:31 pm

Kate blinked at him. "I'm trying to do the right thing here Steve. Whatever this is it could be big and dangerous and potentially put millions of people's lives at risk. I'm sorry that I'm the only person who can do this, but that's the way it is. However, although I'm physically doing it alone, I'm not really doing it alone because I'm still apart of this team and I'm going to be feeding the information to you. Then, once we know what it is we can make a plan. You're not losing me Steve."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:37 pm

Steve just stood there a moment and looked at her. He lost Bucky, Peggy, his mother, everyone. He couldn't take this. He couldn't be the man everyone needed him to be if he was broken inside again. It took him a long time to get over the shock of the loss.

"Well, you just lost me," Steve said and turned to leave. "Good luck Kate," Steve said and shut the door behind him. He didn't say nothing to anyone and he moved right to the elevator and called it up for him.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next