The 4th Age
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Arrivals

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New Arrivals Empty New Arrivals

Post by Conleth Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:08 pm

No one expected that Brandt and Laenaya would not return to the clans once they had released Ice Paw, Laenaya’s massive Snow Cat that she had somehow tamed to obey her every command. It had taken over a month to prepare but the two took 2 horses and a mule with a wicker pannier loaded up and headed south and a bit west toward Gehenna. Ice Paw had shown Laenaya where the cave was that she had found the jewels. Why they headed East now toward it Brandt splashed bits of blood that he took from the mule. He needed his people to believe that something had happened to them or there would be a war for certain sure.

His mother though knew their plan and said nothing. She had always known of it she told them and knew that it had to be this way. She kissed them both goodbye, especially Laenaya who she had grown quite fond of over the months they had been there. Brandt was uneasy to say the least but if Laenaya was willing to give up her own family, he could do it...with her help. At least he hoped he could.

Mid winter was a dangerous time for travel but it only made their deception that much more believable. His mother had given them Heatfornal, an herb to keep their blood warm if it grew severely cold and it had. So cold their mule had died and they were forced to portion out what food and water they could carry and they had to bury the gold coins at the base of a cops of trees he felt they could find if they ever came back that way. What they took was a fortune anyway, enough to buy assured comfort wherever they ended up. He hoped this Gehenna was not so large of a place, large cities befuddled him and he was afraid that the men and women would look down upon him due to his less civilized nature. Also, they needed anonymity with what they were doing and so it was agreed that they would change their names though there was more than a bit of discussion on what those might be. She liked none he came up with and she liked none he came up with. Their tent was small, to small for a fire and just barely big enough for the horses to stand near enough not to freeze to death. He had given them some of the herb also and so far, neither had died. If one did he would not tell her what he would do because she would balk at that. He would leave her in the night with the horse and the provisions and die somewhere out in the snow so that she would live and make it to Gehenna.

She had told them they were getting close and thankfully this far south was not so cold as it had been in the North. They were still very cold though even with Ice paw sleeping with them, the three of them a cuddled mass of flesh, fur and circulating body heat, barely enough to keep them alive. After the third week the elements had seeped into their bones though he desperately tried to keep her warm by rubbing her extremities and making her drink copious amounts of water whenever they stopped. She hated relieving herself in front of him but he would not let her go more than a few feet away and expend energy she did not absolutely have to. Some of his over-protectiveness had made her angry but he reasoned that she was surviving for two, not just one and he would be alright. He ate less than her, drank less and used less of the herbs. He was far more used to the cold than she was though he could tell that his body would grow colder and colder and he would eventually die if they did not get out of the cold soon. This terrible trip south had brought them as close together as two people could get, or at least he thought so. As he shivered and the effects of hypothermia began to take its toll upon him it was all he could do to stay in the saddle. With only a few arrows left and Ice Paw trailing easily behind them they arrived, the tall wooden gates swung open and two men with bows came out to address them.

“Rrreemmemmberrr,” he said shivering, “Wwwwee, ccan’tt gggive theemmm, our rrreall, nnnammes,” he reminded her before all went black.

“Well met travellers!” The two men in thick furs and leathers said as they addressed them. They had arrows nocked but not drawn and waved to them. Before she could speak the names they had agreed upon though she saw Brandt fall from his saddle.

Conleth
Admin

https://adsr.4umer.com

Back to top Go down

New Arrivals Empty Re: New Arrivals

Post by XslvrstarX Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:26 pm

OOC-Wouldn't the people of Gehenna know who she is though? I would be certain that Nauriel would have visited the village with her children...especially since Laenaya knows how to get there.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:27 pm

ooc: Not necessarily. And not well in any case. And we can say that she hadn't been there in years.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:58 pm

Ooc: her grandparents and family would one but Hopefully she can tell them what's up before anything happens.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:08 pm

The journey south was long, tiring, and extremely cold. No one in the clan suspected anything when they left, claiming that they were going to release Ice Paw. She knew that leaving his family was going to be difficult, but this was going to give them both their best chance. Laenaya found it was even sad for her to leave Anja. The woman had taken her in and had protected her as one of her own from the beginning and the two women shared their own goodbye.

Mid-winter was not the best time for a pregnant woman to be traveling, but they had no other option. Laenaya wore thick clothing and her fur lined cloak and boots and gloves. It didn't help that her pregnancy was turning out to be very difficult. She was sick all the time, which meant frequent stops. Brandt did his best to take care of her and she noted that he gave her most of the food and water. She tried to get him to eat more, but he always refused. She knew he was hungry, but he never once complained. Everyday, her belly grew bigger and now the baby was moving and kicking. She was due to give birth in early spring.

Ice Paw stayed close to them and after their mule died she remained even closer. The nights were long and so cold that Laenaya often thought they would die in each other's arms. But each morning they rose and continued on. Brandt had grown extremely protective of her, and between the extreme cold and his extreme protective nature Laenaya grew more easily irritated and had snapped at Brandt a few times. She knew he was only trying to help though and she always apologized.

Finally, they reached Gehenna's main gates. She had not been to the village in many years and she and Brandt had agreed that they would use different names to ensure that word did not reach his clan that they were alive. That would surely mean war. They were stopped by two men in thick furs and leathers. Laenaya waited for Brandt to give them their names, but he didn't speak. Instead, she saw him suddenly fall from his horse. She gasped and jumped down from her's and rushed over to him.

"Please he needs help!" she begged the men.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:37 pm

The men rushed forward, shouldering their bows. “Get help!” One yelled at the other they was in the small guard post. She saw that one peel off further Into the city. Brandt’s lips were blue and his face was deathly pale. Ice Paw had kept her distance and decided to just go hunting instead of testing the aim of the guardsmen.

“Where on earth were you coming from out like this my lady?” The guardsman that took the reins to Brandt’s horse asked. The other rolled Brandt over so he was face up. “He’s bad Will,” he said but will was trying to gesture for him to shut the hell up. “oh, he’s just a touch cold is all Benny, may I ask your names? Or why you’ve come to Gehenna my lady?” Will asked respectfully and also to distract her, he hoped. He had seen men die with hypothermia like that.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:57 pm

OOC-What do you want his name to be?

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:58 pm

Ooc:Colton or Cole for short and Hansen for their last name

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:09 pm

Laenaya was terrified and near tears. Panic gripped her as she saw Brandt's face as they rolled him over. She was trembling and didn't know what to do. She couldn't lose him now...not after everything that they had been through. She heard one of the men speak to her and she was so upset that she nearly gave them their real names. However, she stopped herself and somehow remembered the names they had chosen.

"I am Aviana and he is my husband...Cole Hansen."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:33 pm

A third and a fourth man came running out to them. “Uh, do you have a family here or a place to stay?” Will asked her. “Ben, get her horse, Gregor you get him,” he commanded. The men came, and guided her horses away. “Come with us Mrs. Hansen, we’ll get em to The healing house,” he told her as he offered to help her as well.

The healing house wasn’t all that far from the front gate, only two blocks and it was a fairly large structure. One of the few still lit. They carried him inside then Will brought her in soon after. Inside it was modestly decorated, painted light blue and as soon as they put him on the table two women in white came out of another room and began looking him over.

“Agatha, get his clothes off quick...Ben you help her, Will,” the older woman asked, it was apparent she was the one in charge. “Girl...is this man your husband?” She asked, how long were you out there?” She asked as she began to look him over. “The rest of you...get out!” She barked and they went without pause.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:38 pm

Aviana was extremely upset, but followed the men as they took her husband to the healing house. She was glad that it wasn't far. It was warm inside, but she knew he was still in danger. Tears started to roll down her cheeks as the women came out.

"Yes...he's my husband," she managed to reply. "We've been traveling for almost three weeks."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:48 pm

The older woman scowled at that and gave her a second glance before she returned back to Cole. “And you being pregnant? Damned irresponsible!” She scolded. “Agatha, get the warming blankets, we need to get his temperature up,” she said “Will, get the lady some tea, we’re going to be here a while...my dear, you are exhausted and have frozen, Will will take you to get something hot to eat and drink,” she said not looking at her. Will nodded and gestured to Ariana to exit with him out of the exam room toward the lobby. “Nuthin we can do her my lady, do ya have family here? Or friends? Not many come otherwise’” he told her. “Anyways I’ll take ya to the Kings Rest, best stew in town and freshly baked bread,” he said as he led her if she came.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:56 pm

Aviana didn't want to leave Cole, but Will led her out of the exam room. She looked back at him one more time before walking out. She hesitated slightly when Will asked if they had any family or friends here, but shook her head.

"No...we don't know anyone here...we just stumbled across this place."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:19 pm

The inn was near the center of town one of the larger building with 2 large stories. At this time of night not many people milled about and the common room was empty. The Innkeeper, a short, thin older man yawned as they entered and he smiled at will. He had a full head of white hair and kind, blue eyes. His apron was white and clean and he gave Them a wave. “We got a half frozen woman here Derick, Mel would surely like ya to see she gets a hot meal and a place to stay for the night,” he told him as he brushed off the snow on his pants. He nodded to her.

“Well come in my lady, let's get you warm and comfy by the fire...I has some hot stew simmering and some nice, fresh bed, now go pick your spot my lady and I’ll be right with ya,” he said as he bowed to her and left the room. There were several comfy chairs by the fire and will smiled kindly to her then bowed his way out of the inn.

The Inn looked like most others, mostly made of wood, thick timbers on the ceiling, a wood floor and wooden tables and chairs. It was however a very clean establishment and as she took off her cost and wet things the fire roared in the fireplace. It wasn’t long that Derick came out with a tray and set it on a side table near the chair she seemed to have chosen. He took up a few blankets and set them on a nearby outamon.

“Let me know my dear when your ready to see your room, alright?” He said and smiled then paused and turned around. “Do I know you, pardon my intrusion, it's just that you look kinda familiar,” he said.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:37 pm

Aviana followed Will silently to the inn. She desperately wanted to go back to her husband, but she kept walking. She knew that he would not be happy to know that she had neglected herself and their baby by watching after him. She glanced around the inn slightly as they walked in. She remembered being in it once when she was younger during a trip to Gehenna with her parents. She couldn't have been more than 11 at the time. She remembered the innkeeper, though his hair was completely white now. She quietly took a seat by the fire. Her muscles ached and it felt good to sit down. She felt the baby kick and she gently placed a hand on her stomach to try and comfort it. It seemed to sense her worry.

When Derick came back out with the tray she was already starting to warm up. She looked over at him gratefully and picked up the bowl. She nodded when he told her to let him know when she was ready to go to her room. When he then paused and looked back over at her and asked if he knew her she felt her heart begin to beat a little harder in her chest. She shook her head.

"No Sir, I've never been here before."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:50 pm

He seemed to nod but he was unsure as he shrugged and stepped away to leave her to eat. In the exam room they used warm blankets, warm compresses and forced an herbal medicine down his throat though most of it came out agsin. He breathed but only raggedly, and his lips were a dark purple. Mel and Agatha looked over him closely s they desperately tried to get his temperature up.

The stew was lightly spiced but very hearty, tasty and warming. The bread was soft and warm and the fire began to already thaw parts of her body that she thought had long since gone numb. He chair and blankets were relaxing and it wasn’t long before she fell asleep in the chair. …

She awoke when someone came into the Inn. To her surprise it was her Uncle Beren though he seemed preoccupied with the Innkeeper as he seemed to be dropping something off to him. The Innkeeper said he’d need a few minutes and then Beren moved to warm his hands by the fire. He nodded at her but tried not to look at her directly so to not be rude.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:34 am

Aviana was hungry and ate the stew quickly. When she got down to the bottom of the bowl, she used bits of bread to sop up what broth was left until the bowl was completely clean. As she put the bowl back down on the tray she felt sleepiness begin to settle over her. She was exhausted. They had traveled so far and had endured much over these past few weeks. Neither of them had gotten much rest and they had traveled miles upon miles each day in freezing temperatures. Her last thoughts were of her husband and wanting to go and check on him before her eyes closed and she fell asleep right there in the chair.

She awoke to the sound of a door closing and the creaking of
the wooden floors under footsteps. She glanced over to see who it was and was surprised to see it was her uncle Beren. She felt a bit of panic come over her. If he saw her before she could communicate to him...There happened to be some paper and a quill on the table next to her and she quickly wrote out a short message that read:

It's Laenaya. Please DO NOT say my real name. You must pretend that you do not know me, but I must speak with you urgently.

When he walked over to stand next to the fire she glanced at him slightly. She didn't want him to see her face first. When he got close enough she dropped the sheet of paper face up so he could read it as he bent down to pick it up.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:43 am

Beren saw the paper flutter down to land near his feet. He assumed it belonged the woman who sat in the chair next to him. However as he bent over to pick it up for her his Elven eyes scanned over it quickly. He picked it up but stiffened visibly.

He knew Laenaya and her family well, his sister Nauriel’s family. She was the daughter of the King and if she were here...that meant that they were not in Rhovannion. Had something happened? He gave her a cursory glance. She certainly didn’t look alright. And her eyes...they looked tired or if she had been crying. He remembered that she had been wed to a Northman but why was she hear? Obviously she was in trouble he decided. He turned to her.

“Are you alright, my lady?” He asked. “If I can help you, I will if I can.” He told her.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:17 am

Aviana was visibly relieved when Beren went along with what she had written in her note. She looked at him as he spoke to her as if she were a stranger to him.

"My husband and I need help," she told him. "He is currently at the Healing House being treated for exposure to the cold. We have been traveling for nearly three weeks and need somewhere to stay."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:36 am

His expression changed to one of deep concern, he could tell that...GulBrant, was it? Was in serious trouble by how she was acting. He looked over toward the door where the Innkeeper left from. “You can stay with me and Ithilwen, if you intent to stay here indefinitely we can help you move into a house that has been vacated recently. There are a few that would do for now,” he told her in a whisper. “Is your husband going to be alright? Mel and Agatha are very good but you must see your grandparents before to long, and let them know what's happening,” he said. “If you intend to stay in secret they and we can help you,” he added then nodded to her as the Innkeeper came out.

“Well, I truly hope your husband is alright, my lady,” he said as he left her and took up the box that the Innkeeper brought out to him.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:46 am

Aviana listened as Beren lowered his voice after the Innkeeper left and began to talk to her normally. She was relieved to know that there was a place they could stay for now. She felt tears almost begin to come to her eyes. She knew that she and Cole were going to need all the help they could get...if he survived. She nodded when he told her she must go and see her grandparents. She knew that word would get out about the two strangers arriving at night nearly frozen death and her grandparents liked to know everyone that was in their village. She would go first thing in the morning to their house.

The Innkeeper then came back out and Beren went back to pretending he didn't know her. She looked over at him slightly when he told her he hoped her husband would be alright.

"I hope so too," she replied gently.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:34 am

The Innkeeper left Ariana alone unless she needed something. As morning keeps up, the sun had yet to show itself and a few people came into the common room and took seats at the various tables. Some looked at her but people were generally polite and did not butt into other people's business.

When she stepped outside it was still quite cold but not nearly as bad as she thought when she arrived. She had been warmed up by the fire and the food and her body felt much more tolerant of the cold as when she arrived.

The healing house was still fairly quiet upon entering the exam room she saw that her husband was no longer there. Agatha stood to address her entrance but noticed the severe look on her face. “Oh...uh, no no, he is alright my lady, he gave us quite the trouble but we managed to get his temperature up. He’s quite the fighter. When he woke up and didn’t see you it took us and two others to hold him down. Not that he was in any condition to go anywhere he is still in a bad way, the frostbite could have been much much worse,” she said. “Come, he is in the 2nd room on the left.” She said and led her down the hall.

He room was bright, oil lanterns burned on the walls and a small hearth heated up the small room. Cole was in a small bed, his lips more the color they were supposed to be, his face now red and wind-burned as it had been. She saw that he breathed but not all that easily. He did not wake at her presence.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:45 am

Aviana was shown to her room and despite her intense worry about her husband she slept through the night. Early the next morning she rose and dressed and left the inn to go to the Healing House. It was very quiet when she walked in. She felt her heart begin to beat harder and faster in fear as she walked into the exam room when she didn't see him she nearly fainted. However, before she could truly panic Agatha spotted her and told her he had survived. She walked into the room that he had been moved into and nearly cried from relief. She slowly walked over to him and looked down at his face. She reached out and gently caressed his cheek.

"I love you."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:08 am

For half of the day either Mel or Agatha came in to change a bandage on his right foot. He finally woke and when he turned he saw her and a small smile crept up onto his face. They fed him water, tea and broth and he had a terrible cold but otherwise she was told he would survive and they managed to save his two toes that were dark from frostbite.

“We made it...uh, Ari…” It was clear he forgot her name. The lady smiled at them then covered his foot back up and left them alone.

“I was so worried about you,” he said as his eyes teared up. “I didn’t know where I was...and I didn’t see you,” he added as tears leaked from his eyes.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:22 am

Aviana stayed with him. She sat by his side and spoke softly to him and even sang to him as he slept. As he finally began to stir she sat down on the edge of the bed and smiled down at him with tears in her eyes as she held one of his hands.

"It's Aviana," she said softly with a little smile. "I was worried about you too. I am going to go see my grandparents," she said softly. "I ran into my uncle last night at the inn and he said that we can stay with them for now. They will go along with our plan."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum