The 4th Age
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Calm Before The Storm

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Calm Before The Storm - Page 2 Empty Re: The Calm Before The Storm

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:45 pm

Sabella stood next to Nathan down in the cellar. She had not been back down there since freeing Nathan from the very cell in which Sloan now lay. It was cold and dark down there and she did not like being down there at all. She watched as Sloan awoke with a start after Nathan threw the bucket of cold water on him. Thankfully, she had managed to calm Nathan down enough that he did not immediately attack Sloan. However, she could still sense his deep hatred for him. Something, that was now growing in herself. Sabella had to stop herself from rolling her eyes at his insistence that he had committed no crime. She stood there quietly, planning to let Nathan handle the situation. However, when Sloan looked over at her and her eyes met his she felt cold shiver go down her spine. There was something about him...something she recognized...remembered. It was when he mentioned Westley that it hit her. Her eyes widened and she felt as if she might be sick. Her shock quickly became anger, but she knew she could not give in what he wanted.

"Yes, he did die...in my arms in fact," she replied, attempting to keep her voice level. “If you claim that all witchborns should be burned wouldn’t that also include yourself since you are one?”

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:20 pm

His glee in her expression was obvious. “Oh, did you love him? Does it bring you relief to know that I saved him from being burned at the stake?” he asked. In truth he wanted tears, lots of them and to cause her more pain than she showed.

To her words he tilted his head and then he smiled. His eyes were filled with a zeal that belied his murderous nature. Rose’s expression was dark and angry. Westley was her friend too and knowing that this man, this...animal killed him made her want to do murder herself. Rose, a woman that loved all things, people, animals and plants wanted to strangle this man to death. She made fists of her hands and her knuckles were white with the pressure. “For that sin I conduct myself as god wills it. He took my son from me and bathed him in fire for my sins to expose the true devil here!” he said and he pointed right at Nathan. And then Nathan nodded knowingly as if he finally began to understand.

“Your rage and sorrow has driven you mad man. I can see that now,” he said and shook his head. “I want nothing of your pity Demon! I know you for true! You tempt these people, these...women with your pretty face but I know you! You live in darkness and shadow and conspire to feed us all to the unholy father! I will NOT be led to that doom!” He said in an almost rambling way. Nathan sighed then stepped away unwilling to listen to anything more. He heard the others climbing the stairs with him up to the main floor. He held the door as he waited for Sabella to ascend as well.

Conleth
Admin

https://adsr.4umer.com

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:41 pm

Sabella knew what Sloan wanted and she refused to give it to him. She would not shed a single tear in front of him. Nor even allow a glimmer of one to appear in her eyes. She hated this man and she now fully understood Nathan's burning hatred of him. Sabella had hoped that perhaps there was hope that he could be saved, but she could find none. He was evil through and through. She stood there for a long moment after everyone else had left, just looking at him before she slowly turned and ascended the stairs to where Nathan waited for her. The moment they shut the door behind them the tears Sabella had been holding back burst forth like a broken dam and she cried against him.

"Westley was a good man with a kind heart. He didn't deserve to die...to be killed by one like us. Nor did your wife and child. Oh, Nathan I'm so sorry."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:49 am

“Don't be Sabella. If Sloan didn't exist I would have never found you,” he said as he rubbed the back of her head. That always seemed to calm her down. It was not easy to say his name either without adding in a tone of hatred and contempt. The man was a menace and needed to go away, forever.

Nathan announced that they'd have a free day the next morning and at breakfast people milled about in a relaxed posture save for the guardsmen who were on duty. Sloan was still their prisoner and Sabella had not yet come down to breakfast. Rose and Ben were paired off it seemed as he looked about the large dining room. To his surprise, Tomas and Irene and now Rory and Francis? He hadn’t seen that coming but it made him smile to know that people were beginning to realize that life, hard and troubled as it is had to go on.

He sipped his coffee then decided to go out on the patio for once to see the sunrise. As he got up though Jane came up to ward him. ‘The Oracle would like to speak to you Nathan,” she said softly. Jane was 16 and was one of the women chosen to care for him by him. “Alright,” he said and set his cup down and stood up. As he walked beside Jane he wondered what this was about. Every time the Oracle talked to him it was bad news. Jane knocked then entered and shifted aside to allow Nathan to enter then closed the door with herself outside.

The room was mostly as he remembered it save for a rectangular table with a thick quilt upon it near the right wall in front of the large bookcase. He paid it no mind as the Oracle gestured for him to come further in. Nathan nodded and moved toward him as he sat behind his desk. Nathan noticed the droop in the side of his face immediately and he came and sat in the wooden chair across from him. “You’re...looking better,” he lied and the Oracle chuckled. “I can see why she likes you,” he said and chuckled again. “Are you ready my son?” The Oracle said in his strained way of speaking that his ailment allowed. Nathan sighed knowing what he meant and he looked down at the floor. “How could anyone be ready to die?” He said and couldn’t help the furled brow that came onto his forehead. “Is there no fairness at all in this world?” he asked disgruntled at the prospect of never being able to just be happy.

“We do not get to pick and choose when we die Nathan but we can choose how we die. I shared with you your time not because it was fair to do it, but because you needed to make a choice and you chose to save them, to save Sabella,” he said and pointed a crooked finger at him. “But the future is not set Nathan, it never is. I just know that she would try to stop it if she knew and that would be disastrous for all of us,” The Oracle said then coughed and readjusted his blankets. “The future is like a lattice, paths upon paths crossing over one another. Take one path and a chain of events begins, take another and those same events change again. As change and probability are parts of nature so to is the will to force an outcome that appeals the most to yourself,” he said and paused. Nathan shook his head and really didn’t want to hear anymore. He wished he didn’t know that he was going to be leaving her. She deserved to be happy and he felt that he could make her happy. It set his mood to darken and his patience had worn thin.

‘What do you want old man?” Nathan asked annoyedly. “You need to let Sloan go,” he said and Nathan stood up. “That’s NOT going to happen!” he said and hadn’t realized he was shouting. “I would not tell you this if it wasn’t absolutely necessary. I know what he’s done,” he said. As Sabella came up toward the Oracle's door, others were there in the hall and listening as Nathan’s voice, he was shouting, rang out into the hall. “And you can just go to hell!” He said as he opened the door and then slammed it behind him. He saw all the worried faces as he stalked up toward them down the hall. There was a table with flowers and two other vases along the wall and in a rage he paused and wiped them all off with his arms. The vases and flowers crashed down onto the floor and he growled as he passed by them.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:13 am

That night Sabella didn't sleep. Every time she closed her eyes she saw Westley...his last moments alive. In her ears she could hear the gunshot...hear Westley's labored breathing. She could see his eyes as they looked into hers. She could feel his hair and muscular body as she held him in her arms. She could feel him take his last breath...Despite feeling Nathan's arms around her Sabella cried for Westley...for what had been done to him...what had been taken away from him. Finally, in the early hours of the morning she slowly drifted off to sleep.

When she awoke, the sun was already up and Nathan was gone. It was late in the morning and she rose and bathed and dressed. She knew she had missed breakfast, but she wasn't hungry. She wanted to talk to Nathan about Sloan, about what was going to be done to him. She could sense Nathan was near. She stepped out into the hallway and began to follow her sense of where he was. As she drew closer to the The Oracle's chambers she suddenly heard Nathan's angry voice. He was yelling at The Oracle. The door then suddenly opened and Nathan came storming out. She hadn't seen him this angry since before they were married and did not know what could have set him off. She stood back as he stalked down the hallway, knocking vases off of a table as he passed by. She sighed and just let him go for now. A half hour later she sought him out, hoping he had cooled off a bit.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:37 am

ooc-new thread

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content