The 4th Age
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Return

2 posters

Go down

The Return Empty The Return

Post by Conleth Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:24 pm

Eldarion sighed again and allowed himself to relax. Well, as much as he could relax with a missing child and 2 on the way. “Yes, you can watch over her and try not to exert yourself,” he said softly. “I’m going to check in with the men,” he said. He kissed her on the lips, a fairly passionate kiss then smiled at her sweetly as he backed away.

The next afternoon they still hadn’t found the babe and Floran knew at any moment they’d reopen the gate. He saw Einor giving direction to 2 squads of men in uniform. Once he had given their orders, the men dispersed and went about their assignments to continue the search. “Ho, Einor!” Floran said and moved quickly up to him. Einor waved back to him and waited for him to come up to him. Floran offered his hand and Einor shook it though briefly. “Floran Guthale, I’ve heard alot about you,” he said. “Einor Coveland, Captain Einor Coveland, your reputation precedes you,” Floran said though the two men seemed to act stiffly toward one another like two dogs who were sniffing one another. “I wanted to ask you a few questions, you said your man found the clothes left by those that infiltrated the palace?” He asked. “I, we still have it all, in my office, a dress and a uniform,” he said suspiciously and wanted to know what he wanted. “May I...see them?” Floran asked.

He had an idea, it was a longshot but anything was worth trying at this point. Einor didn’t think entertaining Floran was a good use of his time but he had got him a horse and together they rode to the City barracks where his office was. The higher ranking officers were on the 3rd level in the officers quarters. The Field officers were with the men on the 5th level. Einor’s office was sparsely decorated, with a large, wooden desk, a ladder backed chair, shelves with various weapons, armor, papers, scrolls and books upon them. He had a large, green and white tapestry of the white tree that hung between the large windows and his cloak was hung neatly on a peg near the desk. There was also a large, wooden chest set against the far wall and as they entered Einor moved to first unlock it then open it up.

“Thank you,” Floran said and he proceeded to look at the dress and uniform. “Its just a silk, blue dress and an older uniform,” Einor said as Floran sniffed the dress and then the uniform. He shifted the uniform in his hands until he came down to the pant legs. There was blood on one of them, the right one and the strong scent of horse dung. No, not exactly horse dung, that had a different scent. This was something else he thought and then it hit him. Cow manure. He had visited enough farms to recognize that smell. They’re farmers or they live on a farm. “Cow manure,” he said as he turned to face Einor. Einor’s eyebrows shot up at that though if it were in surprise or disbelief was too difficult to tell right then. Floran was no investigator, far from it but he had a feeling and they both agreed that considering that there had not been any kind of demand as of yet, it likely meant that the perpetrators were still in the city.“Double the guard on every gate accept the Eastern gate,” Floran suggested and Einor smiled as he nodded slowly.

Gordon saw the cross traffic slowly begin to increase and when he had left to see what was what he saw that they had reopened the gates. However he also saw that there were at least double what they had before save for the eastern gate which only had a single man there. A few people on foot or on horseback moved through and the soldier barely even gave them a second look. He rushed back to Helena who was feeding meliara a crust of bread. “Look Gordon, she’s eating,” she said excitedly. Gordon only nodded. “They’ve opened up the gates...we can go,” he said. “But it looks like they’ve doubled the guard save for the eastern gate. There is just a lone soldier there, a young scamp by the looks o em. Pack your things, I’ve left the note for someone ta find. Soon we’ll ave enough gold ta save the farm,’ he said. Helena began to pack everything up. They only had a single horse between them, the plan was to walk out and use it to obscure her and the babe from the guards eyes.

Floran and Einor was up on one of the hilly greens to the Southeast. People had been going through the gate for the past hour and more and more Einor began to become less and less confident. He fidgeted on his white gelding who frisked, feeling his riders mood. Behind him he had one of the best archers he had ever come to know. Rulon sat on a sleek, black stallion and on his hip was a brown quiver that bristled with white, fletched arrows. Floran looked back at the hooded man more than once. He didn’t like this, if they did have Meliara, people sometimes did desperate things if their lives were in danger. He fidgeted too though not for the same reasons Einor did. Rulon sat like a lump, unmoving on his horse. His bow was already strung and he had an arrow knocked and several tucked inside the saddle girth to make them easy to hand.

“I think I want to marry Ariana,” Einor said out of the blue. Rulon pursed his lips and blinked wishing he were anywhere but where he was just now. Floran looked over at the tall officer and nodded. “I figured as much and I know she has feelings for you. She thinks...highly of you Einor but even still, you would be the lucky one,” Floran said though he wanted to bite his own tongue off for it. Einor looked over at Floran and then nodded a bow to him. “I thank you Floran, I can tell you care for her as much as I do,” He said. “You just remember that though she is the daughter of King Elessar, she needs to be the most important thing in your life,” he told him plainly.

“Uh, Captain...look!” Rulon said and pointed down the hill. Two people, Einor thought a man and a woman and a horse. The man led the horse as the woman carried her burden. It was odd because the horse could have easily carried any burdens they had. It wasn’t much to go on until the woman readjusted her burden and they saw that it was a babe she was holding. Einor looked at Floran as Floran looked at Einor. “Floran you head straight for them, Rulon you hobble the horse straight off and if the man does anything…” He only tilted his head suggestively. Rulon nodded and three horses, a tall white, a brown mare and a black stallion began to descend the hill in a dead run.

“Will we be able ta afford a few cows or sheep?” Helena asked as she stepped around a large pod of horse dung. “I, an pigs too, anythin ya want Helena,” Gordon said as he towed their bay mare that looked as if it had seen better days. He held a bow with a knocked arrow in his other hand and paused each time Helena fell behind. Suddenly the mare squealed in pain as a white fletching stood out from their horses side. It was then that they both saw the three horsemen coming at them. “Run Helena, run!” Gordon yelled as he let go of the mare’s reins and lifted up his bow. He fired at the tall white and hit the horse in the side. Einor’s white kept coming though, a trained warhorse and Rulon fired another arrow. Helena took a few steps but then she heard Gordon’s blood, curdling scream. “Gordon!” She cried and moved over to him. A white, fletching stood out from his chest and blood began to pour from the wound as he fell. “No Gordon, no!!!” She cried then turned to face the men coming at her. It was then that Floran and Einor pulled up short as she quickly drew her belt knife and held it to Meliara’s neck. Meliara screamed in terror and confusion.

“Take her Rulon, take her now!’ Einor barked. “NO!” Floran yelled. “Hold, HOLD!” Floran pleaded as he and Einor dismounted. Rulon did hold and his hands never trembled. “Floran she’s going to,” Einor began, “You kilt Gordon!” Helena cried. “I got nuthin now!!!” She wailed and her hand wavered near Meliara’s neck. Floran produced a fat purse that clinked when he drew it before him. “Ho, I have gold, 500 pieces!” Floran said quickly. Helena was panicking and her eyes shifted from one man to the other. Floran had dealt with situations that required a cool head but this was life and death. “She’s going to kill the babe!” Einor shouted. “Wait! This gold, its yours milady...my oath on it. The gold for the babe and you can go free!” Floran said in a rush. Einor turned and glared at him in disbelief. “Are you MAD!” Einor said and half drew out his sword. “No, Einor, she’ll kill....her,” he said desperately and held his hands up. Helena eyed the large purse and then shifted her tear-filled gaze to Einor. “Ya din afta kill Gordon!” She said as tears rolled down her cheeks.

“Look at me milady, 500 gold, for the babe. No one will hurt you here and now, my oath on it!” he said commandingly. Einor shook his head and spit in irritation. “Fine!” he snapped. “Rulon,” he said and gestured toward the gate. Rulon lowered his bow then shouldered it before he turned his horse and trotted away. “The gold for the babe,” Floran said in a softer tone. Helena continued to sob and Meliara screamed in her arms. Floran held no weapon and Einor took his hand off of his and raised his hands up in a non-threatening manner. “You’ll...you’ll let me go?” She said in between sobs. “I am Floran Guthale and you have my oath on it,” he repeated and took a step toward her. Helena still held the knife to Meliara’s neck but it was obvious her resolve was beginning to wane. “We just wanted ta pay off tha farm...that’s all...oh Gordon!” she cried again. Floran took another step and then another and held up several coins that he removed from the purse then dropped them inside again and cinched it shut. “500 gold for the babe, ok?” Floran asked. Helena looked down at Gordon whose eyes were already open and staring up at nothing. She wiped her face with the forearm and drew the knife away from Meliara’s neck. Silently she allowed Floran to get a hold of Meliara and she snatched the purse from him and took a step back. Floran turned and handed Melaira to Einor, uncertain if the man would honor his oath and not cut her down anyway. Meliara cried in Einor’s arms. “Go Einor, get her Ariana,” Floran said. ‘And take care of them both,” he said as he looked at Melaira for the first time. Helena backed up and took up the bay’s reins. The arrow Rulon shot was still in its side but obviously it wasn’t a killing shot. She began to step away from them hurriedly.

Floran smiled down at Meliara and touched her hair. She was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. The moment didn't last long though, Einor mounted again then turned and rode off with the babe in his arms. Floran paused as he looked out over the green a moment longer before he mounted the brown. He took a final look over at the dead man who the woman had named Gordon then twisted his reins and galloped back toward the city.

As Einor rode back in through the gates cheers rose for him. He ascended up toward the palace and didn’t stop until he was in the courtyard to Ariana’s apartments. He dismounted just as Eldarion arrived. He dismounted just as Einor did and relief was obvious on his face. “Nice work Einor,” he said. Einor only nodded, not sure what to say. “I think you should be the one to bring her back her babe, off with you now,” he said. Not a command but Einor complied anyway.

Conleth
Admin

https://adsr.4umer.com

Back to top Go down

The Return Empty Re: The Return

Post by XslvrstarX Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:46 pm

Ariana was still laying in her bed. She hadn't moved since being placed there, nor had she slept. She was laying on her side, facing away from the doors to her bedroom. Her eyes were open, but glazed over. She didn't make a sound and the only sign she was even still alive was the gentle rise and fall of her chest. In her arms was Meliara's favorite stuffed toy. It was a dog and she had to have it in order to sleep at night.

Calista sat in a chair near the bed with Elfwine in her lap. He was half asleep, resting against her chest. Calista heard the main doors to Ariana's apartments open and then the sound of footsteps approach the bedroom. She anticipated Eldarion entering the room and so she was visibly surprised when she saw Einor with Meliara in his arms! Meliara saw her mother and immediately wanted to go to her.

"Mommy!"

Ariana heard her daughter's voice and she immediately looked over to see her safe in Einor's arms. Tears were already flowing by the time Ariana jumped up from the bed. She rushed over and grabbed her daughter into her arms sobbing into her hair.

"You're ok...you're ok."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:11 am

Eldarion took Einor aside and the two men began to speak about what had happened. “They were farmers I believe and we killed the man known as Gordon. The woman, we never did get her name...we...bargained with her to let the child go,” he explained though one eye was on Ariana. How would he explain all of this?
“Oaths were given, she had a blade to the child’s neck and she looked...desperate. Floran…” he began and then Eldarion’s eyebrows shot up. ‘What about Floran? How does he fit into this?” He asked. He thought this was a military matter. “He suggested doubling the guard at every gate but one and when they came through it Rulon shot their horse and the man. Floran he...negotiated with the woman and gave her a purse of gold for the babe. And an oath that she could leave unharmed. I didn’t agree to that but…” he paused and lowered his head. “But...what?” Eldarion urged. “But she might have killed the babe, she was losing control and he...somehow he calmed her down. I’ve never seen anything like that,” he whispered. In the background Calista comforted Ariana and rejoiced with her with the return of her babe. ‘Well, thank you Einor, you’ve done a great service today,” Eldarion said as he looked over at the women.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:25 am

Ariana’s sole focus was on Meliara and she heard nothing of what Einor nor her brother said. The relief she felt was like the biggest boulder in all of Middle Earth being removed from her shoulders. Her daughter, the love of her life, was home and safe.

Over the next few hours she ensured Meliara was well fed and then bathed her before tucking her into her bed with her stuffed dog. She sang softly to her and slowly Meliara fell asleep. She just sat there watching her for sometime and knew just how lucky she had been. In such a situation it was more likely to find the one who had been kidnapped dead. But Einor had found her and returned her home. Slowly and quietly she got up from the edge of the bed and she walked out of the bedroom into the main sitting room, leaving the door open so she could always have an eye on Meliara. She found Einor waiting for her and she felt a wave of love and warmth come over her. Without a word she walked over to him and slipped her arms around his neck and kissed him.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:39 am

A couple of times Einor had attempted to explain to Ariana what had happened but she didn’t seem interested in the details. Her lips on his and the way her body seemed to melt into him had befuddled his thoughts. He kissed her back and his strong hands rubbed her back and also her backside as he kissed her back over and over. “I love you Ariana,” he murmured in between her soft, passionate kisses. He had made promises to Merylan. An oath not to engage with Ariana like this but he couldn’t stop himself. Or he plainly didn’t want to.
After, he didn’t know how long her ladies arrived and Einor assured her he’d not go far. “You need to get some real sleep Princess,” He said. “And eat something,” he added as he watched the women enter. He had tried to let go of her hand but she didn't’ let go of his. He smiled at her and the women that came in did not hold their smiles for seeing them together.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:54 am

Everything about being with Einor just felt right and she knew in her mind she had made her choice. It wasn’t that she didn’t care about Floran, because she did, but she and Einor had history and she knew she loved him. “I love you too” she whispered back passionately to him between their kisses.

She didn’t want the kisses to end, but she knew they couldn’t go any further than this. Einor would need to wait and speak to her father upon his return and make his intentions known. She wanted this relationship to begin correctly and for her parents to both approve and give their blessing. As Einor pulled back from the kiss her eyes slowly opened and she looked up into his own. Einor would know then that Ariana loved him regardless of what she thought had happened in Meliara’s rescue and nothing would change that. She reluctantly bid him goodnight before allowing her ladies to help her ready for bed. She held Meliara close to her and quickly slipped into a deep sleep.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:37 pm

Before Ariana had gotten out of bed, Calista specifically told her ladies in waiting to allow Ariana some space and they had by not appearing in her rooms to dress her even before she had awoke and ate something. This time though, Eldarion and Calista both were on her terrace just feet away from her and the sun was above the trees which signified that she had slept a good long while. Meliara was next to her and looked up at her contently. She held her stuffed dog under her arm then shifted slightly to snuggle with her mother. Obviously ‘she’ wasn't ready to get up just yet either. Eldarion and calista were talking, and their voices carried back into the room.
Calista was in a cream and silver dress today, heavily laden with white embroidery. It was cut high on the neck in a stately demure fashion and she wore a mithril necklace that Eldarion had given her as a gift for bearing his children. The necklace was of small, thin, delicate rings that formed the chain and the pendent at the base was oval and resembled a stylized shield. In the center was a pair of blue gemstones cut to be round and completely smooth, one above the other. Eldarion wore his usual smoke gray suit coat and black pants bloused into his high black boots.
“Einor is to be commended,” he said as Calista sipped at a glass of red liquid, a mixture of juices of various fruits known to aid in childbirth. “For Floran’s part he has declined and has declined my offer to repay him the 500 crowns he gave to the woman. I tried to dissuade that notion but he refused. I’ll have to figure out a way to repay him another way I think. He is a stubborn man,” he said almost vexedly. “Do they make them any other way here in Gondor?” calista said musingly as she rolled the cup a little to mix up the pulp had begun to form at the bottom of her glass. “Einor said he was certain she’d have killed the babe if it weren’t for Floran. And that Floran alone had the idea of doubling the guard on the gates and ordered Rulon to stand down so he could parlay with the woman,” Eldarion continued. “So he kept her talking and considering instead of thinking about doing violence. A wise thing to do and under that much pressure,” calista complimented. Eldarion turned and rested his hands on the white iron grating of the terrace and looked out onto the wide green beyond.
“I can only think that its fate Calista. The man loses his wife and child on the same day, father brings him here almost 2 years later and he manages to save our kin,” he said and shook his head. “Sometimes,” Calista began. “Perhaps, it is not for us to wonder why or how. Odd that he has decided to step aside for Einor no?’ She said thoughtfully. “I don’t understand that either, anyone who saw how he was around her wouldn’t have to guess how he felt. But he got the feeling that she cared more for Einor and just wanted her to be happy,” Eldarion said.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:21 pm

Ariana had slept soundly and deeply that night with Meliara in her arms. She found that she dreamt of Meliara and Lucas, but also of Einor and Floran. In one dream she was married to Einor and she was watching him play with Meliara. Her belly was round with a forthcoming child and she felt incredibly happy. She woke slowly with that happiness lingering. She pulled Meliara closer to her and snuggled her with a smile. She didn't want to wake or get up, but she knew she would need to eventually. She could feel the warmth of the morning sun on her face and slowly she opened her eyes. She became aware that two people were talking nearby and realized that it was the voice of her brother and Calista. At first she didn't listen to what they were saying, until she heard both Einor and Floran's names. She then began to listen more closely and heard the full story of what had happened the day before with Meliara's rescue. She felt a wave of guilt come over her for not knowing how much Floran had aided in the rescue and then she heard that he had stepped aside to allow Einor and herself to be together. This time she felt a stabbing pain of guilt in her heart. She knew that she needed to see him and talk to him.

She rose and began to dress. She left her hair down and asked one of her ladies in waiting to watch closely over Meliara. She then put on her dark green cloak and left the palace, slipping away before Eldarion or Calista noticed. She knew where Floran was staying. It was near the palace and with the hood of her unmarked cloak up most people paid her no attention. She reached the building and knocked on the door.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:33 pm

Floran thought he had more time with Ariana. More time to learn what she liked, what she needed and what she desired. A man who tended a woman properly, providing what she wanted or needed before she knew she needed or wanted it was a man who was loved by her. Ilya was such a woman and it had taken 2 years for him to be able to leave the home they shared and the memories of her behind. And then he met Ariana, a complex woman who he felt few people truly understood. She had passion inside of her that infected him when he was just near her. She was impulsive with a quick wit and a temper. Like himself she was flawed and though she tried to be the daughter the King and Queen wanted, she was still herself underneath and he already had strong feelings for who that woman underneath was.
Boxes now littered the floor to his apartments. He had been up the entire night packing. Gahanna was just a good a place as any to do what he did and it was smack dab in between Minas Tirith and Edoras besides. The knock on the door wasn’t a surprise, he was expecting more boxes and paper to wrap the few remaining things not yet in a box that could break if not packaged properly.
“Enter please, the door is open!” he yelled from the kitchen. It was behind a wall that split the main floor of his home. Boxes and 2 large chests littered the floor as Ariana entered.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:41 pm

Ariana waited outside the door for any kind of response. Inside, the could hear movement and so she knew he must be in there. When he replied that the door was open she slowly opened it and stepped inside. As she closed the door behind her and turned to face into the room she was surprised by the number of boxes and crates that littered the floor. It was clear he was packing and it pained her to think that he might be leaving because of her. She didn't see him right away and so she stepped further into the room. It was then that she spotted him in the kitchen. His back was to her and he still hadn't realized she was there. She pushed back the hood of her cloak and looked at him.

"You're leaving?"

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:02 pm

There were several books he needed. Books and ledgers and journals. Ink vials by the score and writing quills. He paused to look at the binding of one book he held, the glue was beginning to flake off and he clicked his tongue in disapproval. Her voice made him stand straight up and he dropped what he held. Books dropped into the box before him and fell with a ‘smack’ on the floor. He had hoped he’d not have to see her until he was actually leaving. A clean break was always best he had heard someone say and though he’d say goodbye he didn’t want to linger. She cared for Einor and her happiness was really all that he could hope for for her. Her and Meliara.
He turned slowly and regarded her. His cheeks bloomed with color but it faded quickly as his startlement faded. “Aye, I think it best. I can do my work in Gahanna with no less efficiency,” he told her. That wasn’t exactly true. Most traders and merchants used Minas Tirith as the basis of alot of their custom. He’d need to have ledgers brought to him. Stubbornly he acted as if he had not done anything of import less than a day ago. However his eyes did take in the fullness of her beauty before they settled upon her own eyes. His looked...hunted and more than a little sad.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:14 pm

Ariana nodded slowly and was clearly upset that she had been the cause of this. She wasn't sure of what to say at first. How do you thank someone for saving the life of another. He had participated in Meliara's safe return and for that she was truly grateful. She hesitated a moment before slowly walking over to Floran. She slipped her arms around him and held him for a moment. "Thank you for what you did yesterday. You helped save Meliara's life and for that I will always be indebted to you. I don't know what I would do without her. She means everything to me. You owed nothing to me and yet you risked your own life for her. You truly have a good heart Floran."

She slowly pulled back and looked at him. "I want you to know that had Einor not still been in my life that I would have chosen you without a second thought...and I mean that. You are a good man and I am sorry that things had to end this way between us. I hope that we can at least remain friends...however, I truly understand if you would rather not."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:39 pm

It took real effort not to tremble in her arms. His insides felt sick, as if butterflies were launching themselves side to side. The thought of never seeing her again or worse, the thought of not being able to kiss her or hold her or think of her as his did that to him. Her and Meliara.
“Meliara is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen Ariana,” he said as his hand moved to hold her left cheek. “She has your eyes and though I know I could make you happy again,’ he said intuitively. He knew what it was to lose someone you loved. He knew she still partly mourned Lucas’s death. “I see the way you look at Einor. I thought about fighting for you but I’m tired Ariana. I gave everything of myself and there was nothing left but dust on the floor in the end,” he said softly as he stroked her cheek and gently set back several strands of hair that had shifted onto her face. “But you are the fighter between us I think. I had hope...a small hope, that you’d fight for me,” he said. His eyes were looking deeply into hers and there was a bit of moisture in them now as well as color still in his cheeks.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:39 pm

Ariana felt physically sick with guilt and tears stung her eyes as she let Floran speak. She owed him that at least...to listen to him and the pain she had caused him. She closed her eyes and a few tears slipped from her eyes down her cheek and onto his hand.

"I am so sorry Floran. I never intended to cause you any harm. I will never forget you or what you did for Meliara. I have her because of you and that makes you my hero."

She opened her eyes and took a step back. "I wish you well. Gehenna is beautiful and the people there will welcome you. My grandparents are the Lord and Lady of the village and my mother's twin brother lives there with his wife. They will help you if you need it...and if you need to please don't be afraid to write to me. I will always respond to you."

She then took a small step forward and kissed his right cheek. "Goodbye Floran," she said softly in his ear. She then turned and walked out of the house, closing the door behind her. Tears remained in her eyes as she walked away from the house and a man that she truly cared for.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:21 pm

ooc: new thread

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content