The 4th Age
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Visitor In Disguise

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A Visitor In Disguise Empty A Visitor In Disguise

Post by Conleth Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:29 am

In the dim light of dusk she had planned to arrive, a dark green hooded cloak over her head that had been pulled back tightly, the gate guards, Will and Nate asked who she was and what business she had in Gehenna. Nauriel responded with Lady Chamyla Gamalfin from Gondor to see her mother’s friend Lady Serethiel and deliver a massive. That and she used a Ranger’s trick of the mind that her husband had taught her long ago, and the guards smiled wanting to believe her and wanting to please her as they bowed. They stepped aside, allowed her to enter then suddenly wondered why they had the gate open, now forgetting that she had ever gone through. The only one that could have seen her was Gregoran who dozed in the guard shack.

Conleth stood and leaned up against one of the stone-covered pillars that held up the wooden roof over the desk of their newly renovated manor house. He cleared the dottle of his pipe then filled it again and lit it with a fire stick. In the night air the small, flicker of flame could be seen easily from a distance as Nauriel slowed approached him from behind. Conleth was older now, his hair mostly silver and white but in his day he had been one of the best Rangers that the world had ever known. He wore an off-white shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his forearms, dark gray wool pants and nothing on his feet. She had managed to stay downwind of him, that and the smell of the tobacco had made him smelling her nigh impossible. He did hear her footfalls though he could not determine whose they were though he suspected from their shorter gate that they were from a female.

“It is impolite to try sneaking up on an old man, your mother,” he assumed it was one of Ithilwen’s daughters, “Might wonder what you are doing out so late?” he said but did not turn around as he blew a complex set of smoke rings up into the cool, night air.

Conleth
Admin

https://adsr.4umer.com

Back to top Go down

A Visitor In Disguise Empty Re: A Visitor In Disguise

Post by XslvrstarX Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:14 am

Nauriel smiled to herself as she approached her father from behind. Decades of traveling in the wilderness with her husband had taught her some tricks, though she knew once she got close enough her father would be able to hear her. Sneaking entirely up on him, or her mother was impossible. She hadn't visited Gehenna in a few years and every time she saw her father he looked a little older. However, he was no old man. He was still strong and fit, though he had more people to help him now than he had when he and Serethiel had first arrived in the village. She smiled at his comment and stayed behind him.

"I was hoping Mother would actually be pleased to see me...and you as well."

OOC-We need to decide the sex of the baby and a name.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:15 am

ooc: I leave this up to you as I think you enjoy that.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:33 am

His surprise was obvious when he removed the pipe from his mouth then spun around hearing a voice he hadn't heard in far too long. He snatched her up off of her feet in an embrace, the hood falling down behind her and he kissed her cheek soundly as he hugged her. “I’ve missed you girl,” he said in a rasp to contain the emotion that welled up inside of him. Even now he did that, emotion held at bay like the darkness that was always part of him, the evil of his time in those mountains chained deep inside, never to be released. The bond he had with Serethiel had kept that chain well oiled and whole all these years. To him she would always be a girl, his eldest daughter though she was now several decades old herself and his Queen to boot. He did not ask her why she had not written them she would be coming. The hood and her late arrival told him all that he needed to know.

“Come, your mother will be very pleased to see you,” he said with a small smile that had remained upon his face. Inside, the house was much like it had been when she was young. They had tried to remake that part as close to what it had been save for a few things that the newer technologies had given the world. Serethiel had been reading by the large fireplace in the sitting room when Conleth let her go before him, her hood up. Serethiel had smiled seeing Conleth but when he stepped aside to reveal a cloaked woman she could not see under that large hood the corners of her mouth drew down. Until Nauriel flipped the hood back that is. The book, bound in blue cloth and wood tumbled from her hand to the floor as she stood quickly, her lap blanket fluttering to the floor as well. “Oh...Nauriel!” She said surprised and quite happy to see her as she hugged her daughter with tears in her eyes. No less wise than Conleth she still hoped she had brought the grandchildren. “Are the children with you?” She asked hopefully. But before she could ask after them Nauriel spoke.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:54 am

Nauriel smiled and embraced her father as he took her into his arms and picked her up. When she was home she wasn't his Queen, but his little girl. She enjoyed not having to think about politics for a while. It was a relief to just be able to relax and spend time with her family.

She followed her father into the house. Unfortunately, their original house had been destroyed during the war, but her father had rebuilt it on the same spot. It looked much like the original, but with a few upgrades. She pulled up her hood to conceal her face as they walked into the living room where her mother was reading by the fireplace. As they walked in her mother turned around and she pushed back her hood. She smiled when she saw her mother's reaction. She smiled and hugged her tightly.

"Unfortunately, no. It's only me this time. Eldarion is actually planning his wedding..."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:23 am

She had no reaction to the news she had come alone, she half-expected that, however when she mentioned Eldarion’s wedding she nodded quite pleased that the boy had finally came to his senses. “The Calista girl?” Nauriel’s nod and pleased demeanor told her all she needed to know about that to but she wanted to know more ofcourse. This time though, Conleth stayed with them for the catching up bit, he wanted to know about what's been happening to though Serethiel did give him a look as if he were intruding.

“I thought for sure he’d of left by now,” Conleth uttered as Nauriel began. They both looked at him as if he had said something dross. “Well, he is my grandson and the King’s blood runs in his veins as well...and yours to,” he added including them both. Wanderlust had appeared in all of their lives at one time or another. “It will come now or later,” he added, refusing to be drawn down.

“What about the girls?” Serethiel asked as she quirked an eyebrow at Conleth for him to stop interjecting. His eyes saw it but he gave no expression that he would comply. She wanted to get this out of the way before what Nauriel had come for became the focus of her visit. “I will...get you some cider and tarts,” Conleth offered as he got up to get them some refreshment. When it came to the grandchildren Serethiel could not be put off easily. She missed them terribly though with a wedding looming soon she’d see them herself in a month or three. After a few minutes he returned with pewter cups of his hard cider that smelled like cinnamon and tart apples and a plate of small fig tarts, also of his own making.

Ooc: I actually make fig tarts and a steamed, figgy pudding in a mold much like that which was made long ago. And my own apple pie is legendary. (I use 3 kinds of apples and pre cook them a little and add a tiny bit of cheddar cheese in the crust) ;-)

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:37 am

For the next two hours she sat with her parents sipping cider and partaking in fig tarts while she told them about what had happened at the ball and about their surprise when Eldarion informed them that he and Calista where getting married. She talked also about her daughters. She couldn't believe how Kressara, their youngest, was starting to mature already. Eldarion seemed particularly effected by it, as they had a close relationship. However, she was very excited to hear about the new baby. She didn't even know the sex yet. She smiled excitedly.

"So, was it a boy or a girl?"

OOC-I was thinking it would be a son.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:07 pm

Serethiel smiled at her question, she had wondered when Nauriel’s curiosity would take over. “A boy, just a few days old however they can not decide on a name for him yet. Tomorrow morning I will take you to Laenaya though she is not known by that name here. She is Aviana and Brandt is called Cole. He is beautiful Nauriel, though Laenaya’s labor was long and hard. She called out for you, luckily only myself and Ithelwen were in the room. She needs her mother...now more than ever I think. “Cole has been a good surprise though,” Conleth interjected. Serethiel would give him little or no credit at all. For some reason she did not care much for the man, something that irked Conleth but there it was.

“He treats...Aviana, as well as any husband should and perhaps better. He helps me with the horses and knows quite alot about goats which has been very helpful to the village. He also makes a kind of cheese of their milk which has become very popular here. He is a scrapper though and has a very unorthodox way of fighting,” he paused as Serethiel gave him that look again as if he were butting in to where he should not. Conleth decided to turn in soon after as the two women talked well into the night.

The next morning Serethiel walked with Chamyla over to Aviana’s house. This early not alot of people were out and Nauriel’s hood, not entirely out of place as the air did have a chill this early, obscured her from their eyes well. Cole had not been home since late the day before, a fowl was about to be born at any time, as two women stepped in through the front door.

“I’ll be there in a moment, I’m feeding the babe!” Aviana called from the kitchen. That spurned the two women to move briskly to her to observe a new mother giving suck to her newborn babe.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:28 pm

Nauriel felt tears come to her eyes when she was told it had been a boy. She had a grandson and she couldn't wait to see him and her daughter. It worried her that her daughter had had a rough pregnancy and labor, but thankfully Serethiel and Ithilwen had been there for her.

The next morning she walked over with Nauriel to Aviana and Cole's house. It was a nice house. A good size for a growing family. There was a nice garden out front and the front door looked freshly painted. As they walked inside they were greeted by a warm, welcoming interior. It was bright and had a happy feeling to it. As they heard Aviana's voice they walked into the kitchen. She smiled and felt happy tears come to her eyes at the sight of her eldest daughter with her first son.

"I'm sorry I couldn't be here for his birth," she said as she pushed back her hood.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:21 pm

OOC-I was thinking of the name Aslan or Galain for the baby. Which means me do you like better?

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:10 pm

ooc: I love Aslan alot. Sorry for not being around much this weekend. I worked Saturday and then I helped my dad today...all day to install doors onto his shed. if they had fit it would have been a snap, but they didn't, my last name brings with it bad luck so we had to do alot to make it work. I am exhausted and gotta get up tomorrow and start this all over again. *sigh* Tomorrow I should be throwing something up early but not sure how much I will be able to post. I forgot to ask you about this new library level and what its going to be used for?

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:23 pm

OOC-It's going to have books and public computers, but it is also going to have spaces for doing more creative things. I don't know if you've ever heard the term 'Maker Spaces' before, but that's what they are. There's also a 75 seat auditorium for screening movies that's going to be up there as well. It's going to be a really neat space.

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:38 pm

ooc: I have heard of maker spaces actually and that all sounds very interesting. A modern twist to a place that kinda gets forgotten in the whole scheme of things. I'm sure it will be successful for you.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:47 am

For Laenaya just seeing her mother, and after all that had happened, tears began to flow freely down her cheeks but she continued to feed her hungry baby. He was rather loud with his sucking and made contented noises as she held him to her breast. “Oh mother!” She exclaimed and reached out her arm for her. As Nauriel bent to hug her she sobbed silently in her embrace. Serethiel to felt tears come to her eyes and tears were shared amongst all three women for a time.

After, the baby now asleep as Aviana held him the three women sat at the kitchen table, Nauriel to her left and Serethiel to her right. “Mother...I want you to know that it was Br...Cole that brought me here. He did it for me and our son...and he almost died for it. I know it's dangerous and could break the peace that had been arranged,” she said with difficulty. Part of her was ashamed for not telling Brandt no, that they would stay and try to make it all work but she didn’t. She was never going to be truly happy there and brandt could see that. “He is trying very hard to be happy here, I know he feels alone...I know I did so far away from everyone I ever knew. He...found out about the staybirth herbs and was quite...upset with yours and Lindariel’s involvement with all that. He was angry with me for a time and I cannot say I can blame him for that. That is in the past but seeing you...it might bring up hard feelings again for him. Do not judge him harshly for it. He is a man of…’passion’ she said unable to hold back the color in her cheeks.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:21 am

For Nauriel seeing her daughter with her first child brought tears to her eyes. She moved over to her and hugged her as tears began to stream down her cheeks. For a long moment they remained like that, content just to hold one another. Nauriel took a seat beside her daughter and watched her nurse her grandson. She was so prod of her daughter. She knew that none of this could be easy for her, but she was handling it wonderfully.

As the baby fell asleep the three women sat together at the table. Nauriel listened as Aviana told her about everything that had happened. She sighed a little when she heard that he had learned about the herbs. It sounded like they had gone through a rough patch because of it, but they had made it through. She didn't regret giving her those herbs. She hoped that maybe when he had a daughter of his own that he would understand.

"Your father is very sorry he couldn't come," she told her. "I'm sure he will be thrilled to hear he has a grandson. I'll make sure that he comes out to see him soon. Do you have a name for him yet?"

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:38 am

Serethiel made them all a bit of refreshment, pear juice and a few of the fig tarts that her husband had brought over as an excuse to see the baby. Aviana gave her mother an exasperated look. “Cole and I have had...difficulty.” she said diplomatically though there had been all out arguments about what name to call the baby but they had decided on one...well, Aviana had anyway and Cole would just have to like it! “Aslan” she said as she bobbed him up and down. ‘We’re going to name him Aslan,” she said affectionately as she looked down at his sleeping face. “I’ve missed you both so much, and Eldarion and my sisters to. What has been happening? I’ve heard almost nothing about anything. We do not go out of the house much, well, I don’t for fear someone may recognize me and well, with the baby I am busy with him anyway. He is a strong...eater,” she said with a wince. Her breasts were almost always sore now but he was a good sleeper.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:50 am

Nauriel smiled at the name. It was a good strong name and she couldn't imagine that Cole wouldn't like it. Aslan...her first grandchild. She smiled at her daughter when she asked what had been happening at home.

"Well...Eldarion is actually getting married in about 8 weeks."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:48 am

Aviana’s eyes went large at hearing that. “Oh?” She started and then a worried look came over her. “Nah...not that chit Melanie I hope!” She snapped and her expression was one of disgust. “Please say it's not her?” Laenaya never got along with Melanie and in act they often fought, though less so since they were children.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:59 am

Nauriel laughed a little and shook her head. "No, it's not Melanie," she replied. "It's actually Calista. That boy finally got his head on straight and realized if he didn't do something soon he would lose her forever. I am actually surprised that they got engaged so quickly. He didn't seem very interested in getting married so soon."

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:49 am

At Nauriel mentioning Calista she seemed almost as surprised. Calista seemed far to…’proper’ from what her brother had said in the past. Though she liked Calista. Far better than Melanie at least. If she could come down off her high horse that is. She decided a nod versus saying anything was best. The wedding announcement now was a different story. She wanted to go but knew she could not. “You will give him my love and best wishes won’t you?” She said though it made her want to cry again. Being in hiding was not it was all cracked up to be. She was happier than being with the clans but sacrifices were made. Hopefully they would not be forever but she wasn’t entirely sure about that.

“How long can you stay mother?” She asked.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:04 am

Nauriel could see the strain in her daughter’s eyes and it pulled at her heart. Why did the women in this family seem to have to sacrifice so much? She reached out and gently caressed her cheek.

“I’m planning to stay for two weeks. After that I must return to help with the wedding planning.”

She paused a moment and looked at Aslan. “May I hold him?”

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:29 am

Aviana beamed with pride and pleasure as she carefully handed Aslan over to her mother Nauriel. Serethiel had already held him, he had been much smaller then, though her eyes held a wanton light as if she wanted to again. The torch of motherhood had been successfully passed from Grandmother, to mother to daughter. Aslan cooed and yawned sleepily as his blue eyes looked up into Nauriel’s. Aviana was so young and by how she seemed to be enjoying motherhood Nauriel might get the notion that there would likely be more children to come.

Right then the door opened and Cole stepped inside. “I’m sorry hun, that fowl took it’s,” he began as he came into the kitchen but seeing who was there his words cut off suddenly. “Oh, I did not know you had...company,” he said in a neutral tone as his eyes scanned over Nauriel. “My queen,” he said and nodded a bow to her. “Lady Serethiel,” he added belatedly just as cooly. “If you would...excuse me,” he said. He was completely filthy from the birthing and he stepped away to head upstairs to bathe.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:53 am

Nauriel carefully accepted her grandson into her arms. Holding him brought back memories of each of the first times she had held each of her own children. They had all seemed so small to her at the time, and completely helpless. But they had proved to have inherited their parent’s and grandparent’s sense of strength and survival and she had no doubts in her mind that Aslan would be just the same.

As she held him she heard the front door open and Cole stepped inside. She looked over at him as he walked towards the kitchen. However, he abruptly stopped when he saw her and Serethiel. She could sense his uneasiness and even some anger and his words seemed deliberate and un-personal. She glanced over at her mother but let him go for now.

Sometime later, while Serethiel was holding Aslan and Avania was making some tea, Nauriel slipped outside, where she had seen Cole go after getting cleaned up. She spotted him chopping some wood and she approached him, but stayed back a little since he did have an axe in his hand. She waited until he noticed her before speaking.

“I feel that you and I haven’t gotten off on the right start and that is not how I want things to continue,” she told him honestly. “Yes, I gave Laenaya those herbs and no I do not regret it. Now listen,” she said when he looked like he was going to open his mouth to say something. “My intent was not to hurt you. My intent was only to protect my daughter, who was unsure and scared. She was only meant to take those herbs until she knew things were going to work out. I know that you love your son and would protect him with your life...just wait until you have your first daughter Cole. You’ll want to protect her with every fiber of your being. I like you Cole. I think you are a good, strong, hard-working man who will take care of my daughter and grandson. I hope that we can at least be friends...for Aviana’s sake…”

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conleth Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:20 pm

Cole had thought alot about what had transpired. Sometimes he forgave it all in his head and other times he had not. The main problem was that they did not consult him, did not ask him or include him. A decision to suspend her ability to become pregnant had been made completely without him. How would they understand how that made him feel? He felt more than heard the queen come up behind him and he lowered the axe to his hip as she explained her side of things. He had let this all go until he saw her. Stowed it all away someplace deep though it only seemed to bubble up to the surface. Especially after he had been around Conleth, her grandfather for a time. He was a very honorable man. His honesty and sense of right and wrong were as strong as burnished steel he had come to learn. An action if it be dishonorable could not be justified by its intent.

He did not like them avoiding their agreement with the Northmen. If the true were ever discovered there would be death to follow but his words spoke loudly about the deception itself regardless on who was happy and who was not.

Cole listened to her words and though in her mind, that much was clear, her actions were justified they were not. “May I speak plainly my queen?” He asked. When she gave him a subtle nod he continued. “What you did was overstep my rights as her husband. My right, my opinion, everything. Your intent...be it for Aviana was cloaked in willful deception. Lord Conleth has explained this concept to me and I now see the truth of it. I deceived my own people by bringing her here. ‘We’ made that decision Queen Nauriel, together. You are queen of all,” he said and gestured slightly all around him. “But I am Aviana’s husband and by my right I have the right to claim dominion and responsibility over her not you. If she had asked me I could have gotten her the herbs myself and likely I would have if that were her wish. But you sidestepped my right and made the decision for me. I would thank you to not do that again when it comes to my wife and my child,” he said plainly and his eyes looked at hers sternly on that point. “I will forgive what you did, Aviana loves her family and I would not retain a rift between us if I can help it...for her sake. But I will not ‘forget’ such. Please understand...she is….and my son...are all I have now,” he said as his eyes looked down to her feet. His defiant stare completely washed away now by the loss he felt at losing his home, his family and his relationship with his people.

Conleth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XslvrstarX Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:41 pm

Nauriel listened quietly as her son-in-law spoke. Despite his words to her, she actually smiled ever so slightly. Her respect for him grew infinitely in those moments and she knew then that she and Elessar had ultimately made the right choice. Cole was young yet and still had a lot to learn, but she knew that over time he would only grow stronger and continue to gain respect in her eyes. When he then said that Aviana and Aslan were all that he had now she shook her head and stepped up to him and gently placed her hands on his shoulders.

“They are not all you have now. You have an entire family who will protect you and be there when you need us. All you have to do is ask it, and I will be here.”

XslvrstarX
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum